Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jumping

Default Jumping

Is jumping a concern? Does your child have multiple disorders?
    PJK

Default Jumping

My 7 year old jumps rapidly and during this he'll often shoot both his arms straight up over his head. For a period of time he was adding his arms but in a flapping motion like wings... that has settled but his arms still occationally shoot up when he is really excited or anxious. This started just after his 6th birthday. He will jump on any type of surface and it could be at any time of the day or night... he too will tell me that he didn't realize he was jumping.

One of my 5 year olds started jumping about 2 months ago. He typically jumps on bouncy surfaces so I am just logging it as a "red flag" for now... he is typically very high energy.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Jumping

My 4.5 year old jumps constantly unless he's eating, sleeping or otherwise distracted for short amounts of time. He hops like a frog, jerks his arms, skips, runs back and forth in the living room. He's vocalizing a bit, sort of like a grunt, it's hard to explain.

He does this while we are out, shopping and visiting or even just outside in our yard. I ask him what he's thinking and he says 'nothing' although he looks to be in deep thought and concentration while he's in motion.

He hasn't been diagnonsed with anything as of yet, we are seeing a pediatrician (first step after gp) at the end of Sept, we finally were slated for an appointment. Good news but the bad news this doc is retiring two days later! So, onto someone else's waiting list after that.

I have strong reservations with taking him to all these doctors, I'm afraid his behaviour will be passed off as ADHD or 'just a phase'. It's gone on over a year now so it's not a phase. I've been doing some reading on Dyslexia, my dad has it and my brother was never diagnosed but did really poorly in school although now in his early 30s he a successful artist - well, he's making a living which is pretty good for an artist. Day

Default Jumping

Day:

Push your GP to get you into a pediactric neurologist. They have experience with disorders and can rule out some of the concerns and help narrow down your goals to find out the answers you need.

IF your child has had a pattern for 12 months it might be a good thing to document everything you see before going in to see a Doctor.

It would probably be a good thing to have a diagnosis before your child starts regular school. Behaviors are not always excepted in a school system and can be considered disruptive to teachers that do not understand your childs concerns.

This will not become a label for the child but will assist the adults to better understand and not punish him for his actions. Self-esteem issues can effect your childs development in the public eye.
    As a parent I am sure you do not want that anxiety on your little one's shoulders too.
    I should have pushed harder to get the answers for my son but my ex was in denial and did not help the cause.
    His life may have been easier if adults had better understood him.

I wish you the best in your quest for answers. As a Mom keep pushing the system to help you get them.
    PJK

Default Jumping

I will suggest seeing pediactric neurologist. Maybe the ped we see at the end of the month will be able to refer us to the pn.

Default Jumping

In the car I used to bounce up and down...something similar to jumping but boy was it frustrating...im sure to everyone...I still do it sometimes but it has sort of evolved... :shock: