Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-injury

Default Self-injury

I have an annoying tic in which I need to hit myself in the face from time to time, just above my right eye, with my right hand. The harder, the more satisfying.

Anyone else have these kinds of tics? Where you need to hit yourself, or something else, in such a way that it can hurt?
    Colin

Default Self-injury

When I get very upset (my husband making me feel like I'm worthless) I might have a meltdown and punch myself in the head with both fists repeatedly. I've also in that kind of situation cut the back of my thumbs and once the back of my hand with my fingernails (which leaves ugly scars). But I don't know if those things are due to AS or TS or both.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Self-injury

My son does this with his fist and when it is really bad he will try running his head into an object, like a tall bed post or coffee table.

The walls used to get it or a door jam. He prefers standing up now when this pattern happens.

I have to hold on to him or keep my hand over the area of the forehead he wants to bash.

We usually both get hurt, but he does not get it as bad as my hand.

This is one action that can cross over to other concerns and people do not understand it is a tic.

In his mind something has gone wrong, and he has not done something right...or just takes blame for something he had no control over.
    I am still trying to figure out all the signals but it is weird because he seems to feel better once it is over, welps and bruises aside.

Do you do this during a stressful or anxiety moment?
    PJK

Default Self-injury

I sometimes scratch my fingers with my nails until sometimes I cut my skin. I also have hit myself in rage almost from my TS in my shoulder but Im not sure it was TS or just anger.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Self-injury

The one I described was a regular tic. Seems to be present frequently during the day.

Sometimes, though, I've had feelings like your son, PJK, where I've wanted to hit myself with something when stressed or anxious. I'm not sure if that's TS, though, or a part of something else.
    Colin

Default Self-injury

Cailean:

I understand your question too. My son has anxiety and ODD too. But for some reason most people with a multiple disorder concern seem to have the impulse or tic to self injure.

The pattern seems to be there but the causes or connection to a specific disorder does not seem to exist.

Hopefully with some general feed back we will be closer to the answer. :D
    PJK

Default Self-injury

Ugh... this tic was over-active yesterday, and now my face is a bit swollen beside my right eye.
    Colin

Default Self-injury

Cailean:

That can happen and always the discomfort seems to stay with you for a couple days after one bad day.

Warm compress or better yet, hot water bottle works. If it is bruised, a cold compress will help but only touch lightly over and over again. A headache can follow if you hold the cold on to long.

I wish you the best and can so relate to what you are up against.

Hang in there you have friends on this site.
    PJK

Default Self-injury

Thanks. It was acting up again yesterday but I think I'm ok now.

I think if anyone notices this kind of injury in the future, I'll just explain that I was in a bar fight. :P
    Colin

Default Self-injury

A bar fight? lol