Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paxil (Paroxetine)

Default Paxil (Paroxetine)

Anyone taking Paxil (Paroxetine)?

I've been prescribed Paxil CR, mainly for my OCD and anxiety-related symptoms. It's only been a week, so I haven't noticed much of a change, except for side-effects. Makes me a bit sleepy, and I feel a bit sick at certain times of the day, but I'm trying to power through this stage while my body gets used to it.

Anyone had any noteworthy experiences with Paxil?
    Colin

Caileen,

I have not taken paxil but I was seriously considering a medication for anxiety. Have you noticed anything with improvement to your anxiety? Have you noticed anything with how it interacts or affects with TS? ( I would take something for my OCD but I think that may be the only reason my house is always clean, lol)
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Paxil (paroxitine) is marketed in Canada by Glaxo Smith Kline. A pdf of the Canadian Product Monograph is available HERE

Another overview of the medication based on U.S. information, which is essentially the same as the information used in Canada is available HERE

DRUG CLASS AND MECHANISM: Paroxetine is an anti-depressant drug that affects the chemicals that nerves in the brain use to communicate with one another. These chemical messengers, called neurotransmitters, are released by one nerve and taken up by other nerves. Neurotransmitters that are released but not taken up by other nerves are taken up by the nerves that release them ("reuptake"). Many experts believe that it is an imbalance among the amounts of the different neurotransmitters that are released that causes depression. Paroxetine works by inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin by the nerves that release it, an action which allows more serotonin to be available to be taken up by other nerves. Paroxetine is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a class that also contains fluoxetine (Prozac) and sertraline (Zoloft).

SSRI's have been found to be useful in treating a number of disorders in addition to depression...like OCD, anxiety, social phobia, panic disorder as well as mood disorders associated with premenstrual tension.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: All SSRIs, including paroxetine, should not be taken with any of the MAO (mono-amine oxidase) inhibitor-class of anti-depressants, for example, isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), tranylcypromine (Parnate), and procarbazine (Matulane). Such combinations may lead to confusion, high blood pressure, tremor, and increased activity. This same type of interaction may also occur with selegiline (Eldepryl), fenfluramine (Pondimin), and dexfenfluramine (Redux). The anti-ulcer medication, cimetidine (Tagamet) can increase the amount of paroxetine in the blood, possibly leading to side effects. Paroxetine may increase the risk of bleeding in patients taking warfarin (Coumadin) although the mechanism for the interaction is not known. Tryptophan can cause headaches, nausea, sweating, and dizziness when taken with any SSRI. Phenytoin (Dilantin) and phenobarbital may decrease the amount of paroxetine in the body and possibly reducing its effectiveness.

Paxil interacts with a variety of medications, so before taking anything including over the counter meds like cough syrup containing dextromethorphan-promethazine or dextromethorphan-pseudoephedrine , check one of the online drug interaction sites. If you need a reference for one of these sites, let me know.

Discontinuation of Paxil should be accomplished over a period of time while tapering the dose as opposed to sudden withdrawl.

Nausea and somnolence (drowsiness) are common side effects associated with SSRI's because of their effect on neurotransmitters. However as the body becomes acclimated to the new medication, these side effects usually disappear.

The therapeutic effect is not immediate and requires a few weeks to become noticeable. Communication with your physician is important during this time to report how well you are tolerating the medication.

It is possible that when the dosage is increased, you will experience renewed side effects until your body becomes acclimated to the new dosage. However if you find the side effects don't go away after a week to ten days, get back to your doctor.

Most important: do not suddenly stop Paxil once you've been taking it for a while, because of the potential for withdrawl symptoms. It must be tapered to avoid withdrawl.

Most people taking Paxil tolerate it well and find it to be effective.

Steve,

I took clonidine and orap for many years but I have been off both for about 8 or 9 months now. Do you know if either of these would interact bad with it? Obviously I will consult my doctor but if you know they dont mix well, than I dont wanna waste his time, lol, well, and owe him a billion dollars for just a visit.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Adam,

Health Canada posted a warning against using Paxil and Orap.

Click Here for info.

If you come across a similar warning from the FDA, would you let us know?

You can search for drug interactions at the Discovery Health Interaction Checker.

In order for the Interaction Checker to work, you need to temporarily disable your Pop Up Blocker while on their site.

Use the Alphabetical index to identify the various medications for which you are checking interactions...check off the med then click on Check interactions.

You will be provided with drug/drug and drug/food interactions for the combination of meds you entered.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I have not taken paxil but I was seriously considering a medication for anxiety. Have you noticed anything with improvement to your anxiety? Have you noticed anything with how it interacts or affects with TS? ( I would take something for my OCD but I think that may be the only reason my house is always clean, lol)
    No, I haven't been taking it long enough. It's only my sixth day today, so all I have so far are a few side effects (headaches, light-headedness), which I'm told will go away.

I was told it could take 2-3 weeks for anxiety/OCD symptoms to be affected. (It takes even longer to help depression, but I don't have that problem).
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Most important: do not suddenly stop Paxil once you've been taking it for a while, because of the potential for withdrawl symptoms. It must be tapered to avoid withdrawl.
    Yeah, if you read the pamphlet that comes with Paxil CR, it lists the withdrawl symptoms. One of them is "electic shock sensations". That's... strange.
    Colin

Altering brain chemistry requires professional skills, which is why communication with one's physician s so important.

If Paxil is tapered when discontinuing therapy, there should be little or no withdrawl....the listed effects are all the reported adverse effects by all participants in their study. Does not mean everyone experienced all the effects and to the same degree.

Paxil is generally well tolerated. However in people who do not tolerate on particular SSRI, switching to another one sometimes succeeds.

Steve,

I know when watching the paxil commercial they mention a number of drugs that should not be used with it but I will check if orap is one. Now, again I have been off of it for almost a year and at this rate I may stay off of it, I had better results from clonidine.

Update:

After a month so far, Paxil does not appear to be working.
    Colin