Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniffing

Default Sniffing

Does your child or yourself sniff like you have constant allergies?

My son can and I feel bad because as a small child I used to think he had seasonal allergies.

We have found that this is a tic that often happens and the teacher used to complain about it, not realizing it was TS.
    PJK

Default Sniffing

Im just going to make this easy and answer yes to all of the posts in this thread. The only vocal tic I have not experienced is coprilia(spelling?)
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Sniffing

I am with Adam......my son does everything posted too!

Has any of you heard tell of selective mutism? Had my son for his 6 month check up yesterday....and his doc said he got selective mutism. Is this another part of TS coming out or just something that happens?

Default Sniffing

I sniff all the time too. I don't notice anymore, but I could really tell one day when I tape recorded a conversation between myself and my 4 year old nephew. Wow do I sniff a lot!!! LOL

I've never heard of selective mutism being a part of Tourette's. I think it's a seperate thing altogether. But I believe it's considered an anxiety disorder and I would imagine that it's connected to social phobia??? I have social phobia (though I've never had selective mutism) and I can say that for me, the social phobia is FAR more debilitating than any ticcing I've experienced. This wasn't recognized as something to be treated though, in the 70's, from my experience. (I was just considered 'shy', and wasn't that so cute, but now get over it! :? ) I'm so glad it is now seen to be more than just 'shyness'.

Did the doctor make any recommendations??

Default Sniffing

He told me to ignore it! How can I help him if he won't talk?

Default Sniffing

he told you to ignore it? I am so surprised to read it, so I typed 'Selective Mutism' into Google and just came up with this. http://www.selectivemutism.org/ and the FAQ http://www.selectivemutism.org/FAQ.htm. I know for me, social phobia was horrible and it sounds like, from this website, that this is indeed possibly where Selective Mutism stems from. This was in the FAQ
    Waiting to see if a child will "outgrow" SM or overcome it on his/her own is not advised. Studies indicate that the earlier a child is treated for Selective Mutism, the quicker the response to treatment, and the better the overall prognosis. If a child remains mute for many years, his/her behavior can become a conditioned response where the child begins to believe that he/she will never be able to speak in certain settings or to certain individuals. The children also begin to fear more and more that people will "make a big deal over it" if they begin speaking. In other words, Selective Mutism can become a difficult habit to break!

Default Sniffing

OMG I dont sniff its more like snorting...I sniff so hard that I swear my nose with blead...and ppl think my nose is running and that I am a pig when really that isnt it at all. I'm 14 and trust me when I say for me that was one of the worse tics I have ever had. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago but I have had tics since i was in kindergarten so I totally know what your son is going through.

Default Sniffing

Yes, I sniff too. But I am not always sure if it's a tic, or if I sniff because my nose is always running. I think that sometimes it's a tic, and sometimes it's allergies with me.

Selective mutism is most often a part of autism, rather than stemming from a social phobia. A lot of people on the autistic spectrum have tics as well, and can be misdiagnosed with TS, or they can have both, like me (it's a matter of severity I guess, all autistic people have some tics, but not necessarily as many as me).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default Re: Sniffing

Hi my son is sniffing now and like you I am not sure if it is his alergies for a tic because he is also sneezing and blowing his nose.

unfortunatley for me it is the one noise I cannot stand (like nails on a chalkboard) so I try to leave the room whenever it gets to be too much for me. I am hoping this tic will be short lived.

Default Re: Sniffing

Sniffing and throat clearing are the two most common tics shared among most people with Tourette.

Although tics wax and wane and even change with time, I would not want to give you false hope about sniffing going away. Many people I have met with Tourette seem to continue this particular tic indefinitely.