Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Are migraines part of your life?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • In Myself

18 47.37%
  • My Child(ren)

3 7.89%
  • My Spouse

4 10.53%
  • Myself and my Child(ren)

5 13.16%
  • No, Thank Goodness!

8 21.05%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Migraine Triggers

Default Migraine Triggers

Some people with Tourette Syndrome report experiencing migraine headache. Though the relationship between Tourette and migraine is not established, the subject of migraine may be of interest to explore.

Migraine triggers include:

Food & food additives
    Alcohol (especially red wine), caffeinated beverages, nuts, nitrite/nitrate-preserved foods (hot dogs, pepperoni), smoked or pickled foods.

Light
    Strong or glaring light. Flickering lights from TV or computer screen, strobe or laser lights, or reflections.

Smells/odors
    Intense, specific food odors, cigarette or other smoke, perfumes, cleaning products.

Stress
    Migraine attacks often occur after stress - especially on weekends and holidays. Many people mistake these as tension headaches.

Weather Changes
    High humidity, atmospheric pressure changes, rapid temperature fluctuations, and exposure to extreme heat or cold may bring on migraine attacks. Many people mistake these for "sinus headaches."

Changes in sleeping habits
    Too little, or more often, too much sleep can trigger migraines.

Dieting/hunger
    Any change in eating habits, missed meals, change in schedule or dieting.

Loud noises/sounds
    Sudden or prolonged loud noises.

Motion/travel
    Reaction to motion sickness.

Caffeine
    Having more (and sometimes even having less) caffeine than you are used to can trigger migraines.

Hormonal Fluctuations
    The frequency of women's migraines is sometimes said to be related to hormonal fluctuation, particularly with regard to estrogen. In many women, migraines begin just prior to, or during, their monthly menstrual period, or during treatment with artificial hormones such as birth control pills or estrogen replacement therapy.

To help identify which triggers affect you, keep a migraine diary for several months...the longer the better. Every time you experience a migraine, write down what you ate that day or what other conditions existed prior to the attack.

After a while a profile emerges that can help you avoid the triggers that affect you.

Well, I know which things will almost inevitably trigger a migraine in me. They are:

Too little sleep, tomatoes, too much stress, prolonged loud noise, blinking or flickering lights, glaring light, tobacco smoke, certain perfumes, cleaning chemical smells, mold, dust, high humidity, heat, motion sickness (I get 'everything that moves' sick), the sun shining on my head.

But too little sleep, eating tomatoes and stress are the worst ones. It's hard to avoid stress, but I can avoid eating tomatoes and tomato products, and I try hard to get enough sleep.

And most of the others I try to avoid as much as I can. I use all natural cleaning products, we have an air conditioner so I survive the hot summers here, I don't dust :roll: , I make my husband clean up the mess when something in the fridge gets moldy, I don't go to discos :lol: (blinking lights AND noise AND too many people, I couldn't handle it even when young). And I have the kind of lenses in my glasses that turn dark when I go outside, to avoid the glare from the sun, and I always wear a sun hat in the summer (it takes only ten minutes for me to get a migraine otherwise).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

I kept a log for a couple of years recommended by my neurologist.

• The principal trigger for me is weather change, such as dropping barometric pressure.

Second is food containing sodium nitrite like hot dogs, ham or bacon.

Then there is alcoholic beverages and caffeine.

Flashing lights and stuffy heat

Of course adding stress to any of the above increases the chance for migraine.

All of the above can cause them for me

but I noticed with my son that his medication can cause what is called "cluster headaches".
    It does not seem to be the dosage but added stress seems to helps induce them too.
    It is odd because weather can induce them in him like me too.

Interesting topic and one that should be looked in to more closely.
    PJK

I've never had a migraine.. there's nothing in the poll for me to click on.

;)

haejinn, just consider yourself lucky, they are no fun!
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Haejinn,

Good catch! Now you can vote..thanks for mentioning it.

Sometimes migraines (often described as "one sided headaches") manifest themselves as a searing spike in one eye, and might come with the added bonus of nausea and vomiting

Fortunately the class of medications known as triptans have demonstrated greater effectiveness than previous modes of therapy which only provided symptomatic relief.

The triptans target specific neurotransmitters and actually abort the migraine episode in about 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

I am particularly interested in your series of posts on migraines. My son who is 13 has had a few migraines in the last six months. I had hoped he would be lucky enough not to inherit them, but it seems he hasn't been so fortunate. Is this also a TS related issue? Being that it is neurological is it somehow connected?

I didn't start getting migraines until I was in my twenties, but he has been treated twice for debilitating migraines. He was nauseated, light sensitive, sound sensivite, and opted to burry his head in his blankets in a dark cool room for several hours until it was relieved. It seemed at the time the trigger for him was a lack of sleep and a bright, noisy congested classroom all rolled into one. Other times it can be travel, or food. It's happened so few times it's hard to nail down a pattern.

PJK, could you elaborate on what is a cluster migraine please? I have heard of them, but I am not sure what it means. I see you posted regarding migraines back in Sept. How is your son doing now?

Thanks
    Jared'sMom

To my knowledge there has not been a link established between Tourette and Migraine, so the chances of someone with Tourette to experience Migraine is probably the same as the general population.

The best way to identify Migraine triggers is to keep a log for about a year, which will reveal one's pattern. The pharmaceutical companies that produce Migraine meds also provide neurologists with pre printed patient logs to provide the information you need.

The log is usually in the form of a grid, for each day of the month to indicate a Migraine, its severity, the possible triggers (from a list) the med that was taken and if relief was experienced.

Once a history is established, it can help to avoid some of the triggers, though weather changes and some hidded food ingredients are more difficult to avoid.

My son has just recently started having headaches.

He has to lie down right away and turn the light off!

I just felt so bad for him.

Would the triggers for headaches in adults be the same as for children? Steph