Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shapes, colors, etc....

Default Shapes, colors, etc....

Does anyone here have a weird connection or constant use of certain shapes or colors?

I have this thing with figure eights. Whenever I see ANYTHING, I draw, with my eyes, figure eights around them. Its sorta hard to explain but like if I see to cracks on a concrete wall, I draw (again, with just my eyes) a figure eight or I guess I picture there being a figure eight.

I lately have been also doing a very annoying mental tic. I have to always count or label and then count certain things I encounter. If I eneter a room I might count how many women there are and then the men and I do it over and over again. Maybe if Im eating dinner I may actually count every pea on my plate or I work in a matteress place and every day I count the beds. I know how many by heart but every day I count them 20 or 30 times a day. This might be more OCD but it definately is just as annoying.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Adam

I can not relate to the "figure 8" but certainly do relate to the counting. I was a leader with Scouts Canada a few years ago when my oldest was 5. We had kids in this group that were 5-7 yrs old and we would primarily neet in the same location and it was in a school. I would obsess over one going missing so I would count and recount for the full 90 minutes. When I was younger the dentist I went to had ceiling tiles that had little holes in them. I would count the holes in the same tile over and over while sitting in the chair. I would do this upon each visit, perhaps I was afraid they had changed the ceiling tiles in the 6 months since my last visit. :roll:
    There are still days that I will catch myself counting and recounting things for no reason.

I often wondered in "the Count dracula" on Sesame Street had OCD :?:
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

There are 41 major cracks in the sidewalk between my bus stop and the entrance to my office. I have yet to step on any of them.
    Colin

Its so weird that we talk about this like, and I apologize for the phrase here, like we are crazy and we can laugh about it but like you cailean, when Im walking down a sidewalk, its no joke, I CANNOT step on a crack or i just get so frustrated or mad or whatever. Its just sooo weird to me.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Have you ever experienced the need to rewind?

One of my 5 yr olds cried himself to sleep tonigh because he wanted me to rewind how we got out of the van when we camehome from swimming lessens. We didn't get out of the van the way he wanted so he actually started crying and could not stop. When he could settle enough to talk he asked me to rewind. I have experienced situations in the apst with my 7yr old where we have had to redo things because things didn't go the way he expected. Tonight when my little guy was so upset about this I realized that maybe it was a "journalling moment " for me.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet,

I have had some situations where something didnt happen exactly how it usually should and it aggravated me but I didnt think it was TS I guess, just though it was a "creature of happen" thing.

My son who became so upset over this is not diagnosed with anything but as time goes on he exhibits more and more OCD type behaviors but is not ADHD in any way... With two of my boys and I having TSplus, I have the process started with my twins because I could have 4 boys with TSplus.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Janet,

I originally was diagnosed with mild tourettes syndrome (my school teacher actually thought I had it first, weird) but I didnt show too many signs when I was younger. I showed more OCD signs than TS but as I grew older the TS symptoms became more apperant. I think the problem is that OCD and TS are very closly related its sometimes hard to tell which one it is or if its both. But I agree with uschi (which was said in another thread somewhere) that everybody probably has a tic or OCD habbit, its when it "disrupts" a persons life that it becomes a diagnosis for these disorderes.

that's a good point. For now the things my younger boys do are managable because they are minor in comparison to what we have dealt with in the past. I think it's great when a teacher can actually see the symptoms and is aware enough to actually make a suggestion to parent to have things checked. This has happened here locally several times.

Our national president for the TSFC, lives here in NL and this is how we got started here in NL with a local chapter, he had his daughter assessed based on her kindergarden teacher suspecting she had TS ( his daughter is 24 now). My boys are going to the same school that this teacher works at but they are going to K and she teaches grade 3 now...

All the more reason why we ned to continue to eduacte and make people aware. In Canada September is TS awareness month. We do something here every Sept.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage