Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Palilalia

Default Palilalia

Palilalia is defined as involuntary repetition of words or sentences in talking, and is often associated with Tourette's Syndrome as a complex tic.

In my case, I often end up with a handful of words or phrases which I compulsively repeat or say -- sometimes they occur in every other sentence I say, sometimes they're an automatic response to certain triggers and sometimes they're just out of the blue.

I've had this compulsive behavior my entire life, but I hadn't identified it as a tic, or anything particularly unusual, until recently.

It can be annoying to me, and it drove my fianc?e nuts until she was able to get used to it. :P

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Colin

Default Palilalia

I sometimes repeat things but Im not sure if it is a tic or what. I love listening to stand up comedians and I repeat alot of what they say but is that a tic or is it normal to repeat a joke right after you hear it?
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Palilalia

Adam do you repeat it to yourself or do you repeat it to others? I remember being younger and hearing how to spell "F..." for the first time. I also remember repeating it over and over and over again ie the spelling that is. I got in trouble for it but did not even realize I was repeating it. Now that hindsight is 20/20, I often wonder where that came from? was it normal to repeat to remember or was it a need back then to just repeat and repeat...
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Palilalia

No, I guess I dont do it a ton when other people are around and its not always loud like im speaking to someone. I dont really know if its a tic. I dont even notice it and I just thought about it when this thread opened up.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Palilalia

i have done this but not alot that it becomes a problem,i do repeat my own words and others but i do it under my breath,sometimes my husband has asked me why am i talking to myself,sometimes my kids ask,"what are you saying mummy?"
    but i dont do it out loud,i find that accents fascinate me so if i hear a certain word that is said in a new way i will become fascinated by it and will repeat it over and over until i am bored with it,sometimes i repeat sentences over and over ,but again,under my breath,very quietly so usually no one can hear me

i just thought everyone does this from time to time dont they ?
    jo

Default Palilalia

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight
    accents fascinate me so if i hear a certain word that is said in a new way i will become fascinated by it and will repeat it over and over until i am bored with it,sometimes i repeat sentences over and over ,but again,under my breath,very quietly so usually no one can hear me
    I do it aloud. I try to constrain myself if it's likely to offend someone though...
    Colin

Default Palilalia

What about music in your mind's ear?

Do you sometimes get stuck on a melody which repeats over and over, and instead of humming or singing the song you grind your teeth to the notes or tap or flick fingers?

Steve

Default Palilalia

i know that i sometimes make a noise by humming and touching my teeth together so it makes a kind of humming sound through the vibrations of my teeth,if you do this then you will know what i mean,i cant explain it,i hate it but i have to do it.it is almost as annoying as fingers down the blackboard,ewwww :evil:
    jo

Default Palilalia

humming and touching my teeth together so it makes a kind of humming sound through the vibrations of my teeth
    That sounds familiar and you described it very well!

Do you repeat actual phrases or words, Midnight? In what circumstances?

Default Palilalia

My friend's son who is not 6 yet is not diagnosed with anything but has an older brother who has Tourette plus has been saying "coca-coca-coca cola" and repeatedly doing this. His mom said to me she thinks it's a vocal tic... his dad says he's just doing it. :roll: His mom thinks it's funny and probably TS while his dad thinks it's normal :? So they are all going to conference this year :D
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College