Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Shoulders

Default Rolling Shoulders

My son rolls his shoulders and throws his lower rib cage out taking deep breaths.
    Seems odd, and usually no real reason for it like frustration or stress.

He does not have to breath different each time but when it is only his shoulders, he can also vocal tic or his eyes move or head tilts.
    PJK

Be warned - this might be unpleasant for some.

I roll my shoulders, too. I have twisted by collarbone on the right side, and torqued my right elbow. Hmm, if you work down and up from the shoulder area, you hit, my goodness - the collarbone and the elbow. Sounds like 'collateral damage' to me.

I have gotten to a point where I can pop my shoulder or collar or something loudly enough for others to go, "Ewww." And, according to my chiropractor, I am 'separating' (not dislocating) my shoulder. I am essentially ticcing so strongly, and so - how do you say it - weirdly, that I am putting space between the ball and the socket of my shoulder joint.

Yea, it sounds horrific. Sorry. Some days, I can't get my shoulder to sit still or come back to 'zero'. If you feel at the front of the base of your neck, below the Adam's apple area, there is a 1cm (1/2in) gap between the inside ends of your collarbones, one on each side. Some days, when the tics are really bad, that joint on the right side is 1cm FORWARD (not right or left) of its partner on the other side. My whole body is twisting to the right, so to speak.

I really wish we understood tics well enough for someone to answer me this: is there a reason why my tics seem to be right-hemisphere only? They are not really 100% on my right, but it is typically my right foot, right hand, right elbow, right shoulder, and the right side of my face and neck, as well as my right eye (don't get me started on that one). If I understand correctly, the basal ganglia and the limbic system don't have hemispheres. That is something that applies only to the upper part of the brain, like the cerebral cortex (where the human parts of thinking live). If that is true, then what would make the right side more likely to tic in ANY person?

I am right handed, but I always wondered if I was left handed to begin with. I can do a lot with my left hand that seems too easy, like writing. So maybe this is a "Just you Darin" thing, but I'll throw this on the table:

Anyone else have tics just on one side? Is it on your dominant (writing) side, or the other side?
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

tiger,

Yea, I had noticed this also (there is a seperate thread about it too) where I tic mostly on my left, some on my right but most on my left. And Im right handed.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Darin:

My son favors his left side for some reason. Now that he is with us daily I see the damage his rolling shoulders is causing.

He has also pulled and strained the shoulder and collarbone to the point he is wearing a sling from time to time. (right side)

There is a lot of damage to his collarbone area and tip of shoulders. He is so frail that the bones are exposed and the spacing looks odd.
    His TS condition is also more complicated from the physical damage done in his past around the shoulder/collarbone area.

Popping sounds are loud and he is always complaining of the discomfort.
    We have good days and bad....the bad are rough.

I have often wondered too about location of tic's and brain activity. Often the left side is controlled by the right side of the brain and vissa versa.

Maybe this is a Steve question.... :roll:
    PJK

Maybe this is a Steve question
    Promise to look into it. Very heavy stuff! :?

Do not forget that the basal ganglia is NOT part of the brain that has hemispheres. So as far as I can understand at this point, there is no right or left handedness in that part of the brain.

However, if every other part of the brain is affected by the neurotransmitters that are messed up in TS+, then maybe it is hemispheric.

As for me, I can not find any reason that explains why certain things are on the right side, and others the left, other than the great leveler of intellect, process, and design: it is arbitrary.

I want to see a study in which they use those 'energy level' brain scans to find out if people with tics on the right side have a greater level of activity (called arousal in this context) in the left part of the brain than in the right. Hmmm...

Darin:

Good point...you'd think they thought of a test like that already...

Maybe with the additional funding in the USA tests like that will happen to help find answers.

Wonder if those participating in the studies have email contact info for a suggestion box...

I passed the o'l research ball to Steve on this topic so it will be interesting to see what he finds out.

Take Care :D
    PJK

I also find I tic more on my right side than my left -- except for blinking. My blinking tic is in both eyes, but I find that my left eye leads.
    Colin

I also roll my shoulders, especially when I have to sit still for too long (like church). But with me it's both sides. And I have to crack all my joints because they're very loose and will ache and be stiff if I don't.

It seems that no tic is just on one side with me, everything happens on both sides (not necessarily at the same time, though).

Sorry, I can't think and may not make much sense today, I accidentally (through stupidity on my part) glutened myself today (stole one of Susie's french fries at Dairy Queen, and realized after eating it, that it was way too crunchy and obviously breaded! That'll teach me I guess), and now have brain fog as a result (well, that's one of the symptoms, others are more unpleasant . :roll:
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Warning: this article will make your brain hurt. Well, more than usual...

Quote Originally Posted by cailean
    I tic more on my right side than my left -- except for blinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Uschi
    both sides. And I have to crack all my joints because they're very loose and will ache
    Wait a second - I just thought of something. I have, for a long time, considered tics to be a secondary symptom. Meaning: the tics are not the problem, they are the bodies way of achieving equilibrium (E)*. What is out of E I have no idea, but I'm working on it...

Think about this: what if there are two kinds of tics in TS? The first one is the response to E being out of balance, and has nothing to do with anything external or obvious. But, this lays the groundwork - your body is programmed to use ticcing, more than 'normal' people.

Um, let's see if I can put that in English. Cocaine users are more likely to use heroine than people who don't use street drugs. Why? Using drugs is something they already do. Their tolerance level (no pun intended, but hey) might be between cocaine and heroine (heroine is worse), but it is ABOVE using street drugs - they take cocaine. Does that make sense? Our bodies are already ticcing, so why not tic some more? Have one for me!

So in some cases, we 'tic' on the other side. Maybe this is to balance things out, physically, and perhaps to satisfy the OCD (co-morbid, remember?). I have been to the chiropractor enough hundreds of times to know that the body tries to balance things out. Your left low back hurt? Well, it's your RIGHT pelvis area that is out. The low back pain is where the body is complaining about having to balance out the problem in your pelvis, to keep you standing and walking. Capiche?

I pop both jaws, but the right one is 90% of it. I can 'pop' any joint, and some things that ain't joints. But are these all primary tics? Maybe some of it is secondary tics, as I would call them here. Again, trying to get back to some kind of E.

And 'sensory' tics, like the ones you get when wearing - eeeek - a tie? Maybe this is a tertiary (3rd) kind of tic. The body knows ticcing works (in some deranged way) so it just naturally gravitates towards ticcing. "I know ticcing gets the job done, so I'll try that."

In conclusion, parents and gentletics, all three of the above kinds of tics have a common theme - they are in reaction to something. What that something is changes how I group them here. But maybe they are all the same, and the REASON is hidden sometimes.

Okay, blast away - I'm ready for you.

* Sorry, I ain't typing equi... every time. Ha ha.