Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there ever a remission?

Default Is there ever a remission?

Some people experience some marked improvement in their late teens or early twenties. Many of the people with TS get better, not worse, as they mature, and there are several reports of a complete remission of symptoms.

Do you think TS symptoms go into remission or are people just referring to the tics going into remission?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

dont know the answer to that but my tics were very mild as a teen,just winking really,but in my 20`s they worsened to include sniffing and neck stretching,,and in my 30`s they are the worst ever,too many to ,list here,boohoo,i just hope my 40`s bring a remission
    jo

I didn't know I had TS till I hit my late 30's and it's only since then that I realized I had tics so if I had to guess, I'ld say my symptoms are the same... but I manage them now because I know what I'm dealling with and why I am like I am and do what I do.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Whenever you read a description of TS it seems like they all say that it's a childhood disorder, and the tics will often go away as adults. I don't have a clue myself why they say that.

I remember having tics as far back as I can remember (and I have an excellent long-term memory). They have never lessened, and I am 52 now. In fact, they eye blinking is now worse than when I was a child.

I don't know if TS ever goes into remission, but somehow I can't really imagine that it does.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

According to research (don't have the reference, but I can get it) the symptoms split the population into three groups evenly, 1/3 getting better, 1/3 worse, 1/3 same as the Touretter ages.

I think puberty screws up everything, not just TS, so it is a bad time to get accurate information. However, waxing and waning is part of the definition of TS tics, and that must include periods of years or longer. I have tics now, at age 36, that I did not pick up until a few years ago. A couple, like separating my shoulder, have already gone away.

But, on the flip side, I have, right now as I am typing this, a couple of tics that I have had (according to Mom) since I was 1-2 years old.

:-)
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger