Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Request for a 'satellite' chapter from the tourette tiger

Default Request for a 'satellite' chapter from the tourette tiger

Howdy, folks. The people with TS in Georgia (USA, not former Soviet, ey) would like to find out how to formally request the creation of a non-funded satellite chapter of the TSFC in Atlanta, Georgia. I have a volunteer for that chapter's president: Gillian Leggett.

Oh, and I'm also trying to talk folks into looking at my web site - it is in my profile on the forum, of course.

And I am sure my parents, Sherry & Dan Pruitt, would like for me to say hi! for them.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Darin,

I believe there are a number of active chapters of the Tourette Syndrome Association in Georgia. Have you looked into associating with the TSA?

What services do you wish to provide in your area?

Oh, I was afraid of this. Ha ha.

I have served on the board of the TSA of Georgia / South Carolina. My mother was one of the four founding mothers, uh, members. I have run workshops, support groups, panel discussions, and given lectures as an official part of the TSA, both in Georgia and other states.

I have been asked to come BACK to Canada to lecture or run workshops on at least four occasions. Montreal 2005 will be my fourth national conference in Canada. Sadly, not in a row. Sign me up for the flier for 2006.

Let me try to put this well: the reception I have received from my Canadian friends completely eclipses that of any other TS organization I have worked with or for. The possible exception is the Norwegians, but that is mainly due to one particular person who, with my mother's sanction, prefers for me to call her "Mom". Hi, Gerd.

I am not the only person in Georgia who is coming up to Canada next month. This is easy to check: just read the speaker's list. Brad, my parents (the Pruitts), Rick Fowler: all from Georgia at the moment. Some people with no sense of humor might call this a betrayal or an insult. Me, I call it an importation of talent in the name of the children and adults who have Tourette's. I don't want to help Touretters in Georgia, I want to help them all. Je suis Touretter, ey?

We do not need any funding, or any official vote / voice in the organization. This is really aboot acknowledging the wonderful job the TSFC is doing to improve my life, and the lives of other Touretters. I know there must be some kind of provision for 'satellite' chapters in the Canadian version of non-profit organization by-laws. How about this analogy: we want to exchange embassies with the TSFC?

Darin,

Forgive me but I was unaware of your involvement with TSFC and the upcoming National meeting. :oops:

Let us make some inquiries and see if we can figure out a way to it work.

Thank you for the kind words about the TSFC. The spirit in which the Foundation works is a tribute to the Board of Directors and the dedication of our Executive Director.

I don't know if this is trite or not, but I try not to toot my own horn until it is appropriate. One of my goals is to publish about 18 books on TS+, for different audiences and to different purposes. But for now, the best I can say is that I am "Sherry Pruitt's son". Recently, I became the tourette tiger, but there are only about 65 people so far that know. Gotta start somewhere, ey?

As for the 'satellite chapter' I am definitely fishing here. I think we can work something out. If it gets too weird, I'll just advertise us as the 'unofficial' or maybe 'expatriated' chapter. Ha ha ha. <snicker>

Keep up the good work.