Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book to Check Out

Default New Book to Check Out

Brad Cohen loves school. The second-grade teacher at Tritt Elementary in east Cobb loves the students, the activities and the excitement of learning. Cohen has Tourette's syndrome that makes him twitch his face, jerk his head and make loud noises. As a young student Tourette's made him a target for ridicule. As an adult, it presented problems as he sought to fulfill his dream of becoming a teacher.
    Now, Cohen has put his experiences in a book titled "Front of the Class: How Tourette Syndrome Made Me the Teacher I Never Had." Cohen provides an account of growing up with Tourette's and of his determination not to let the disease rule his life. His goal in writing the book was not to gain sympathy, but to educate.
    "Hopefully the book will help people understand Tourette's syndrome," he said. "There are so many misconceptions about the disease. Most people think it's a cursing disease."
    He also hopes the book serves as an inspiration for people with disabilities.
    "It's a story about the underdog and how the underdog can be successful," said Cohen. "As a child, adult, teacher and someday a parent, I want to help people. I want them to know that even if they have disabilities, they can be successful."

[size=9px]This excerpt was was taken from:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metr...1tourette.html[/size]
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I read it. I liked it. Any TS+ child who hates being a student in public school should find out that someone with TS+ actually went back to school to be a teacher. And a fine one, at that.

Brad has done a good job of telling a story about how Tourette's syndrome shapes your life, and how you can overcome it. In these forums, we spend a lot of time analyzing and scrutinizing, but Brad's story is not bogged down by technical jargon or what I call "comparative neurology".

Brad is also a friend, and his energy and enthusiasm are very contagious. He makes a good mascot! Read the book and you'll get it. Let's see if we can get him in the "Ticcy: the TSFC Mascot" outfit in Montreal!
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

That's great feedback on this book. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to meeting him.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Do both of you think a 12 year old would be able to grasp the meaning and understand that he too could have a better future?
    PJK

PJK

My plan is to purchase this book since I have not read it and I will be in Montreal for the conference. I'll let you know what I think and I plan to have my 13 1/2 yr old read it too. I would guess that based on the fact that he tells his story as he lived it and without any jargon ie it's everyday language, that it would be inspiring to the 12 plus age group. Perhaps Darin will add more insight since he has read the book.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

I just put in my order for this book on Amazon, and I'm looking forward to its arrival.
    Colin

Well, yes. He is a public school teacher. I think part of the point is for kids to see how they can change their world. A teacher with TS+? Wow!
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Hi all

Brad was in Montreal and I sat in for his presentation with the Teachers. He is a great speaker and very motivational. He was an inspiration and from the back of the room I felt great to see so many heads nodding as they listened so attentively to Brad speak. When heads nod, they get it!

Brad certainly made it clear that with a positive attitude and a willingness to move past all the challenges you can achieve anything. Brad shared his story and explained the importance of empathizing with the students and helping them understand there are no excuses but that you need to find a solution. The right teacher can make a world of difference in a child's life.

I had Brad read through this thread and he assured me he would register and post when he got home ... stay tuned
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Janet
    I had Brad read through this thread and he assured me he would register and post when he got home ... stay tuned
    He'd better... I hope he wasn't just trying to humour us. :P
    Colin

Janet:

Did you find time to read the new book? Have your son read it?

If so, what did you think? Would it be something my 12 year old would connect too?

They have taken him off the clonidine and I see his tic's increasing. We don't make anything of them.
    He enjoys reading everything, and I hope I could find something that would make him click in to better understand he was alright and his future is bright.
    PJK