Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With My Son's School

Default Dealing With My Son's School

Things were going great over the summer for my son. Then BAM back in school again. Four days back in school, I get a call from the principal of his school. Come and get him, he's disruptiing his class.....so off I go to pick him up. When I get there he (the principal) tells me that there is a staff meeting after school and will discuss my son. Phone rings at suppertime........it's the principal.......we brought up your sons name at the meeting the we decided for you to pick up your at lunch time and bring him home, BUT we also need him here to get him ready for grade 7.
    Sometime this week we will schedule a meeting, to discuss things like what kind of meds he is on......who is his doctor......when was his drugs last change etc. I said fine, that's not a problem.

I can't remember what happened 2 days ago, and they expect me to remember when he had his drugs changed. Oh boy, this is gonna be another interesting yr for him and me I think! Think I will just give them permission to phone the child's doctor and get all the information from him.
    :?

oops that's one big cookie...... :D

Hi Cookie:

I strongly suggest that you DON'T give the school permission to call the doctor. That gives them the ability to ask pretty much what they want and to interpret what the doctor says without you being involved.

It sounds like you need to get some help advocating for your son. The school needs to be providing the services that your son requires in school. You may need to push back and ask what the school is going to provide if they send him home half way through the day.

Also, as I understand it, the school does not have any right to dictate that your son be on medications, or to oversee his medications (as in asking when changes were made, etc.)

Has your son been seen by a psychologist who can give you a hand in determining his requirements? If not, has the school offered a school psychologist or any other services that your son may need to help him?

Some behaviours stem from frustration -- either because of the symptoms of TS, OCD ADHD, or learning disabilties or a whole host of other things -- other than willfully misbehaving. Does the school understand this?

I strongly urge you to get in touch with the TSFC National office 1-800-361-3120 and talk to them. Also, check if there is someone in the area who does in-servicing who can help educate the school.

Also, get a copy of Exceptional Children, Ordinary Schools by Norm Foreman. It is a Canadian book on advocating to get what you need for your child in the school system. It gives you the basics of advocating for your child, including understanding what should be provided for your child, the identification process if your child has special needs, the individual education plan, etc. It also covers meetings such as the one you have coming up -- how to prepare, how to get the outcomes you need, etc.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how it is going.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

It was the school psychologist who suggested the half day to begin with. Where do I find a copy of the book? I will do some searching around to find out if there is in-serving in our area. Anything would be a great help at this stage, for I am seriously considering pulling him out of the school system and do home schooling for him. I didn't realize how the teachers and principals of the schools tagged a child so bad just for having something wrong with them. It's getting really frustrating, feels like they are gaining up on us. I will keep you posted on the out come of the meeting.

You should be able to get Foreman's book either through your local bookstore, or from the Chapter's website. Your local library may have it as well.

If there isn't someone in your area who can do an in-service, see if you can get the school to purchase the Educator's Resource Kit (or buy it yourself and lend/give it to the school).

Hang in there!
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

It was the school psychologist who suggested the half day to begin with.
    I would not assume that the psychologist understands TS and its associated disorders. You may find that he/she does, and is suggesting a half day until some strategies get put into place and your son can come for the full day. However, if he/she does not seem to get it, you will need to provide more information about your child's TS, etc. and push for better accommodations.

Again -- good luck with the process. Let us know if we can answer questions or provide some other strategies as you work through this.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Thanks.......a friend found me the book on a book site. I contacted them to see if they had it in stock......I'm ordering it next week

Hi, I would like to talk to Cookie. I think our son' s share alot in common and our schools too unfortunately!
    ldavies3@telus.net

Lisa,

Welcome to the TSFC Forum!

What are the common factors that you are experiencing with your son...and your local school system?

Try dropping Cookie a Private Message if you wish to make personal contact.

However, by discussing the challenges that you are facing in open forum, all forum members can benefit from the discussion.

Hi Lisa.D

Welcome to the forum.

We have private messaging available on the forum. You can send a message directly to any other member by clicking on the PM button. You can find the button either on the bottom line of a message from the member you want to contact, or in their profile.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage