Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tics During Sex

Default Tics During Sex

Please be advised: This discussion is expected to remain a serious exploration of the manifestations of Tourette Syndrome. Any inappropriate postings intended to exploit the subject of sex for a purpose other than to provide support and insight will be removed from the board by Forum staff.

Anecdotal reports by some people afflicted with Tourette Syndrome state that tics subside during sexual activity.

Has your experience supported these claims that one does not tic during sex, or do you continue to struggle to suppress motor tics which might disrupt your sexual activity?

Do you ever blurt out vocal tics which might be contrary to the type of verbal exchange common in in sexual activity?

Default Tics During Sex

I hope my Mom is not reading these things. Oi!

It depends on who you are sexing with. I find that is more important than the physical stress of the act. If I am with someone I am really into, I'm in the zone essentially, no tics. Nada. But if I am in a serious relationship, and it is really stressful, the sex is plagued by tic or OCD symptoms. The neurology is trying to speak out... at least that is how I see it.

Once again, see the thread on ticcing during sleep. This is not exactly a good source of accurate self-report. And while I would volunteer for a university study on the subject, I think it gets too silly too soon. I think this conversation is important, but not as important as some others.

<blushing> Okay, can I come out of the isolation booth?
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Default Tics During Sex

I think this conversation is important, but not as important as some others
    Perhaps, but over the years there have been a variety of claims of behaviour associated with Tourette Syndrome.

Our purpose is to explore these issues to determine their validity based on the experience and reports of our Forum members.

This question could be listed in the category "Things I always wanted to know about my Tourette, but was too shy to ask"

Thanks for sharing your experience, Darin!

Default Tics During Sex

I think I created some confusion with my (rare) lack of footnoting a comment I made about the 'importance' of the ticcing-during-sex topic. Okay, let me see if I can be more clear - I really did not mean to upset or confuse anyone - I was not trying to belittle the question.

If you have TS+, and you are having sex with someone other than yourself, and you did not have to pay for it (take that at different levels), then congratulations! Mazel Tov! There is no delicate way to put this - if I am getting laid, we are past the point where she (I'm straight but not a jerk about it) would have a problem with my TS+ symptoms, unless they DRASTICALLY changed during sex, and I have never heard anyone say this. It might be true for some, but I have not been told about this in 15 years by anyone with TS+. How many people with TS+ would love to find out what their current symptoms are like during intercourse, orgasm, or even heavy petting? I have to stop now, so I don't accidentally cross over into 'Quentin Tarantino' land here. Oh, speaking of Tarantino, does he have TS+ all over his movies, or what? Why would I pay $8 for some clueless git to smear his OCD all over me? Yuck. Gross. Ugh. Sorry about that...

Steve, for what it is worth, I would rather we discuss tics during other events that are equally or more stressful in terms of peer review, like interviews for jobs, trying on clothes, going before the judge (I wrote an article on this), and, dare I say it, first dates. Let's make some money, buy some nice clothes, and keep our cars on the road, so that we can go out on first dates, so that we can then work on having someone want to have sex with us. Ha ha ha ha. LOL. <sniff> I can't believe I got that to have continuity. TS+ is awesome: you can enjoy something you wrote as if you never saw it before...

Does Darin get back to the point: yes. Sex and Tourette's would make a great Cinemax Public Service special. Really, I see most of the discussion as repressed sexual fantasy, and our impaired self esteem, especially as it relates to our image of our own bodies. How can I think I am sexy when even I don't want to look at myself in the mirror? All I see in the mirror is someone who's face is starting to distort, as my eye squeezing tic (NOT blinking, I wish it was blinking) and my jaw popping tic (people here it across MALLS these days) are changing the size and shape of ONE of my eyes, and ONE of my jawlines. I know I have visually based OCD (people invite me to their homes to straighten pictures - no sh**) and self-esteem issues (duh) but the last three years have been rough on the I-self (my view of myself) and devastating to the Me-self (my opinion on how other people see me).

I have to work up to this with jokes, because it comes down so hard on you when you type something like this out in plain English. People often ask me why I write. The answer is something shared by a lot of great writers from history (this is wishful thinking, not arrogance): "Because I must". I am compelled to tell the stories. I have always had in the back of my head the working title for this chapter of my book on my TS+: My Fu**ing Tics. Guess what - that is a triple pun. Enjoy.

ps: I know that TS and OCD are flip flopped between men and women - meaning that the TS ratio is 3 to 1 guys to girls, and the opposite for OCD. I have a theory - that is an article in progress also. The point: does OCD make sex as challenging for women as tics do for guys? And that brings me back to my great big disgusting theory on TS+, that TS is a subset of OCD. How many people of either sex with TS+ use role-playing during sex to enhance things? And how often do you find yourself role-playing something that normally would be taboo, not just kinky? Does OCD give us a tolerance to taboos? Does having sex OCD make us better, more creative lovers, or does it just give us one more area to be exposed to others as 'not normal' or 'not okay'?

That might be the longest ps: in history...

pps: I diagnosed a young lady of my intimate acquaintance with OCD during a session of passionate role-playing, in which she admitted to thinking about a few things that were sexually oriented and on the edge of taboo during normal school / work hours without wanting to. Yikes.

ppps: Now I REALLY hope my Mom is not reading this.

Default Tics During Sex

(people here it across MALLS these days)
    Damn spell checkers. OCD, all of them...

Default Tics During Sex

its my turn to hope my councellors dont see this,

but during either sex or wacking off, my tics completly disapear, the first time i notice it, i made it last 40 mins >_< happiest momemt of my life :lol: not really but,,

Default Tics During Sex

I can be relatively tic free for sometimes hours, so it's difficult to say if tics go away during sex. What I can be 100% positive about is that as soon as I have finished...you know what I mean :oops: ...I ALWAYS have a massive "tic attack" I wondered if it was something to do with the release of "pleasure chemicals" being released and the link with dopamine and TS.

Default Tics During Sex

Tics are frequently suppressed during actvities requiring intensive concentration.

I don't understand the mechanism, but when intense concentration is interrupted, ticcing might resume.

Perhaps there is some correlation with the single minded thought process involved during sexual activity.

Default Re: Tics During Sex

Steve, you are single minded during sex? I hate to admit this, but I have OCD loops even during sex. Then goods news is, they are just as easy / difficult to deal with during sex. I mean, they're not worse. At this point, having had OCD symptoms for more than 3 decades, they just mostly slide off. And besides, it is not difficult to WANT to go back to what I was doing during sex. So maybe they ARE easier to deal with in bed. Hmmm...

I mean, when I'm filling out tax forms, sometimes I prefer the OCD thoughts.

And here is a curve ball: has anyone noticed in hindsight that their symptoms are worse during sex with people they should really not be having sex with? I have sensory problems with my face, especially my nose and my lips. The latter makes making out a bit complicated. Except, I react differently to different lovers. It almost seems (maybe it is wishful thinking again) that my symptoms are better when my lover does NOT stress me out. How's THAT for a useful side effect of TS+? If you are sensory defensive in bed with someone, OUT they go! Goodbye, it is not gonna work out, see ya! I only wish it were that easy.

Default Re: Tics During Sex

I still battle with my TS during sex. Although its not as bad as it would normally be, my neck jerking and eye blinking stays the rest im pretty good with keeping away, but theres still always something there that i cannot keep away.

Jessica