Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Introduction

Default Introduction

Hi everyone,
    I hope that I am posting this in the right section!
    I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim and I am a student at Sheridan college, enrolled in the Educational Assistant program. Currently we are studying Tourette's and this website was recommended to me by a fellow student. I have some knowledge about this syndrome as a student that I worked with during my field placement had been diagnosed with it. I appreciate any information that I acquire through this forum and I'm looking forward to applying my new found knowledge once I start working in the field. I live in the Mississauga area and was wondering if anyone knew of an orginazation in this area that I could visit and meet with an expert in this field or at least get some literature from.
    Thank you for your time.
    Kim :D

Default Introduction

Hi Kim:

Welcome to the forum.

Our national office is in Toronto. If you contact them, they will be happy to send you some literature. Also, they may be able to put you in contact with someone closer to you.

The contact information can be found here.

Are you doing a project on TS as part of your course work?
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Default Introduction

Hi Kim!

Welcome to the TSFC Forum. Glad you found us and feel free to join in any ongoing discussion or start one of your own.

Default Introduction

Try this book for teachers and parents:

http://www.hopepress.com/html/teaching_the_tiger.html
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Default Thanks for the info!

Thank you to everyone for their feedback and information. I'm looking forward to learning from all of you. The course I am currently taking is Advanced Disabilities and I chose Tourette's for my independent study.
    Kim

Default Introduction

Welcome Kim

I am so pleased that you have made the decision to choose Tourette as your independent study. You will find as you study TS, it is going to take you on an exploratory visit of so many associated behaviors that can come from having this disorder. The resources available from the TSFC are excellent and the DVD for Educators is very insightful and may prove to be a phenominal resource for you if you have not had exposure to TS till now. I shared this with a teacher and her peers who are working on their masters program in special needs and their feedback was great. They found that it gave them enough of an understanding of TS that they could empathize but just as importantly it shares strategies that work... that is what the key to success is when working with our kids who have Tourette syndrome.

Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions as you explore and study one of the most misunderstood disorders. Thanks for your interest in this area.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Introduction

Kim

How are your studies progressing? We would enjoy hearing an update and I would be interested if you have found any stumbling blocks on the subject or found additional in sight on the subject through your research.

Please let us know :D
    PJK