Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage Reactions

Default Rage Reactions

Reports from some people with Tourette Syndrome suggest that when presented with a multitasking situation, there is a tendency on the part of the person with Tourette to experience a sort of mental block.
    The outlet for this so called mental block appears to be a rage reaction.

Are rage reactions part of the disorder and if they are how do you deal with them? How do you work out the resolution of rage reactions with family, friends and co workers?

Default Rage Reactions

I believe rage is a part of TS in that we often have a significantly lower level of tolerance which in all probability is due to the ADHD symptoms. I know at work I will not cross the line and show rage or yell... I suppress my rage/frustration and have learned to walk away and tell those around me I need "white space" and I take a little walk to calm myself and re-group. With friends I just say nothing until I have calmed down and can speak rationally. At home unfortunately I do sometimes lose it. I can easily cross that line and that I find horribly wrong because they are the people I love the most... but I let them see the ugly side of me sometimes and then I find myself apologizing and trying to recover any damage I've done. My oldest son is a teenager with TS and he will say "I know mom, it's your TS." but I quickly remind him that that is not an excuse for me getting so mad at him or losing my patience. I have learned to be more self aware and have at times anticipated my frustration building and have told my kids it was time for me to have a time-out and I have put myself in my room to regroup... I will say that if I get good sleep then I am more capable of staying in control.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Rage Reactions

Im the same like janet. I never show my "anger" at work but around friends and family it finds ways to come out.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Rage Reactions

A strong supportive and understanding family is the most valuable aid when dealing with these rage reactions.

I wonder if behaviour modification therapy might have a place in learning how to diffuse a rage reaction?

Suppressing rage among strangers is tantamount to suppressing tics..it has to get out eventually....OTOH we don't want to hurt the ones to whom we are closest. :?

Default Rage Reactions

Suppressing rage among strangers is tantamount to suppressing tics..it has to get out eventually
    I never thought of it this way before... good point!

I have found that going to the gym or walking has made a definite difference too. When on a regular exercise routine you can definitely manage life, stress and frustration more effectively... and that is for all people not just those of us with TS
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Rage reaction

Jan. 6 I just sign in this web. and I was asking about my son's damage things.
    Do you think this is Rage Reaction?
    I live at Ontario, is there has any doctor special in this Tourette Syndrome?
    Is this cover in OHIP?

No, there are any TS support nearby my living area.

Default Rage Reactions

Living in Ontario you should be able to find a physician that works with TS and/or multiple disorders. They do not appear to be common though.

Have you asked your family Doctor who he would recommend you seeing?

Do you have a local Mental Health Center? Have you called them to find additional support and referrals?

In our situation before we found a physiologist to help our son, we used the services of the DMH and they referred us to a psychiatrist to evaluate and set up a plan for therapy and assistance. They also narrowed down the diagnosis and determined what medicine he should take and how much.

Our son has been through behavior modification (several kinds) It has helped him manage his "rage" and helped make him feel more self confident, other types we tried were a disaster in his case.

WE have found that not only do others around need to learn acceptance of the disorders but our son did too. Now that he has a better understanding of his emotions and he realizes he is not alone we are seeing better results.

I share this forum in part with my son, pulling up postings and reading them with him when I see the same patterns we have lived. It has helped.
    PJK

Default Rage Reactions

What is DMH?

We don't have family doctor, that's why we don't know where we have to ask consulting

My son diagnosised TS in USA, and moved to here 8 years ago, but during these 8 years, he only had mild tic. And we never realize whether he has other disorder with TS.

And recently we review the problem we had, we kind of wonder whether there are some disorder with him.

So, I came to this forum to find out some support, where I should go and who I should talk with

Default Rage Reactions

Ponybarrie,

I suspect DMH refers to Department of Mental Health, but we'll let PJK clarify.

To find a family physician in Ontario, visit the website of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and click on "Doctor Search. Then you can use either the "Easy Search" or "Advanced Search".

Using these search engines, you can look for a family physician in your area who is accepting new patients.

You can determine the age and gender of the physician from your search, if these are important to you.

If none is available, check to find out in your local hospital if there is a training program for Family Medicine. These centers are usually found in large teaching hospitals, though sometimes they have visiting physicians in smaller centers.

If there is a Family Medicine clinic in your area, ask to be enrolled. You will be seen by young physicians in training under the supervision of competent staff doctors and many of these clinics provide extra services as perks to being a member of their clinic.

Let us know how you make out in locating a physician, so we can know how you are making out.

We are interested in your progress in finding the services you need.

Default Rage Reactions

Hi, Steve & PJK

I'll go searching as ur suggestion

Will keep in touch

Thanks a lot