Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Greetings everyone

Default Greetings everyone

Hey everyone, I'm new to this...I just found out about this site from a fellow co worker.. I as well have tourretes obviously..LOL I was wondering if there is anyone in here around 20 to share stories with. I also would like to here about other members cases. I was diagnosed when I was about 7 and have learned to deal with it since then. I have accepted myself for who I am and so have my friends. Just wondering if there is any new and improved medications. I wouldn't mind trying anything. Last time I was on meds was in grade 6 and it was Orap. I made the personal decision to come off of them as they were affecting my studies. I look forward to meeting everyone and interacting with you all as we all share the same uniqueness. Have a good Day.
    Steve
    Look with your heart and not with your ears and you will see someone for who they are.

Hey, good to meet you. I'm in my late 30's now, and figured out I had TS when I was in my early 20's but I've never had it 'officiallized' by a doctor and i've not taken meds for it. They have several medications that are supposed to reduce tics, I'm not sure which ones might've come along since you were on Orap and which ones were already used. ???? Tenex and Clonidine, 2 high-blood pressure meds, are often the first two tried these days.

Hi Steve!

Welcome to the TSFC Forum!

One might consider medication if their Tourette was interfering with their life or affecting their quality of life.

Medications are never 100% side effect or risk free, so with consultation with your physician you would make a benefits vs risks decision as to whether it's right for you.

What part of your Tourette do you feel requires medication?

Hi Steve, I'm glad you found us! Obviously, I am not around twenty, but rather have kids your age 8) .

I am wondering the same thing as Steve: Why do you feel you need medication now, after managing without them for so long? With a lot of them the side effects are bad, while the benefits (as in tic reduction)are so small, that it isn't worth taking them.

I have a lot of tics, but since none usually interfere with everyday life, I don't take any meds. Plus, of course, I managed without them for 51 years, why start taking meds now?
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Wow Thanks everyone for the fast feedback...I don't feel I need medication I just thought it would be something to try. I came off of it in grade 6 for that exact reason. The side effects were to strong. I spent all of that year on my desk as oppose to actually learning and when the teacher still decided to reward me straight A's I didn't find it fair. I believed that it was out of pitty so I made the decision to begin to live with it. Best decision of my life. It feels really nice finally having people to talk to people about it. I was just wondering if someone knew the ecaxt reason Tourrettes starts. I know it is genetic and you carry the recessive genes and what not but It was suggested to me that it is triggered by Trauma. My parents both state that there is a specific event in my life that would have been traumatizing enough to induce it and I don't remember anything before that. If anyone knows that would be greatly appreciated. Thank yuo everyone. Have a good day..
    Steve
    Look with your heart and not with your ears and you will see someone for who they are.

Steve,

If you have found that your Tourette does not interfere with your life activities without the need for medication so far, you might well consider continuing this way.

As Uschi alludes to, medications are not a magic bullet and when you read the accounts of people who need medication reporting the difficulties many experience in taking the meds available today, you need to gain a substantial benefit to outweigh the problems.

In cases where the various symptoms of Tourette severely interfere with a person's quality of life, then it may be worth talking to your doctor about medication options.

Your querry about the genetics of Tourette is such a good one :idea: , I went ahead and started a new discussion thread on the topic of Tourette Genetic Updates

By starting a new discussion thread, other Forum members with an interest in the topic can join in and contribute additional insights.

Check out the links contained in that posting and let us know your comments.

We can continue the discussion on genetics there!

Hey twich20, my name is adam. Im 21 and was diagnosed when I was about 6. I too have just come to accept it, although I sometimes get really upset not being able to do a simple task like everyone else, always twitching during it. I agree with steve. With medication, its always best if you can go without it but if the TS interfiers with normal life than maybe meds are a possible idea. I apologize, Im not on as much as I like due to a medical reason but I plan to be more active soon and hope to share my experiences with and hear yours!
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Adam,

Any time you spend with us is appreciated for your valuable insights.

Continue on your road to recovery, my friend! :D

Well, everything seems to be going good and Im even gonna try to get back to work soon. Man it has been a crazy 2 months but soon it will all be back to normal!
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............