Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Creating Tourette Awareness

Default Creating Tourette Awareness

Sitting around and talking about the problems with publicity for Tourettes is one thing (which a lot of us are guilty of I am sure), but getting out there and making a difference is something completely different.

We all need to get out there and do something. Does anyone have any ideas of how we can impact the publicity? I mean telling everyone around you is a start, but I guess the problem is that it really just doesn't feel like you're making a difference...that's how I feel anyways. Anyone have specific ideas of how to fundraise or spread the word etc? Please post them if you do!
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

getting out there and making a difference is something completely different.
    Steph,

You can make a difference in increasing Tourette awareness by:
    • ?Becoming a member of TSFC or your local Tourette Association (TSA etc)
      ?Participate in your local support meetings
      ?Form a local support group if none exists
      ?Become an frequent and regular participant in the TSFC Forum
      ?Distribute the TSFC Forum Poster
      ?Visit medical facilities treating Tourette and deliver TSFC literature
      ?Call the National Office to arrange for fundraising

Steph

In Sept month, annually I set up an awareness booth at our biggest mall here and pass out Q and As and this year added the selling of the TS bracelets. several of the local TSFC chapter members join me and we make a big presence and talk to everyone who looks our way.

We have also partnered with the local hospital and have gotten permission to take over one of their main bulleton boards and posted all types of facts and info on TS.

We partnered with our local university and did some inservicing and they created a tape of a Q and A session which they use for educating their Education students on TS.

The things you can do are endless but keep in mind that partnering with some people can help your efforts make a bigger impact as well as a little more fun for you.

good luck and have fun
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet,

Have you ever arranged an exhibit at your local hospital during the day to provide information to hospital medical staff?

This is a common practice in many hospitals and is usually arranged through the hospital pharmacy (see the chief pharmacist)

A good idea would be to get into schools and do in-services there because it's students with TS who will have the hardest time in life if there isn't enough awareness about TS. I have done a few presentations for teachers and students and have found that their attitudes and teaching styles have changed for the better because they realise what TS is and how it can affect them.

Tic Boy,

You're absolutely right about the value of in service presentations in schools. If this is an activity that interests you, contact the National Office of TSFC at (800) 361-3120

Steve I'm glad you mentioned that number. I have been contacted by Edmonton TSFC chapter already about becoming a registered member who does inservices;and i probably will even though I havve already done tons for classes in my school

I have been contacted by Edmonton TSFC chapter already about becoming a registered member who does inservices
    Great stuff!

Let us know if we can help. You are to be commended for your willingness to volunteer!

Steve,
    It's not quite what I would call volunteering, I felt like there was a huge gap between me and everyone else and these presentations were a way of closing that gap that seemed to seperate me from everyone else. So in a way it was almost like a moral obligation to myself and anyone else with tourettes.

Tic Boy:

It would be wonderful if you were able to get the training provided and visit other schools in your area basicly providing the same point.

Coming from an adult is good and informative, coming from a student may impact the other students even more.

Like I mentioned before I am so glad you are apart of this forum. The TSFC needs more people reaching out and getting the facts on the table.

Just today I mentioned to a new client that my son also has TS. He looked at me funny and as soon as I told him we do not have to many moments with language he clued in. Everyone seems to think that TS is the swearing disorder....they have so much to learn.
    PJK