Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Winter Sports

Default Winter Sports

Does anyone know if local chapters plan day trips for families and children during the winter months to get out and learn how to ice skate, ski or tube down a hill together?

I find it hard for my son to connect sometimes with other kids. I know most of the reason's but his tic's can still make him less outgoing at times.

Any thoughts?
    PJK

Default Winter Sports

The Ottawa chapter does some activities throughout the year, including in the winter.

We are thinking of a sleigh ride this winter, but have not yet set anything up. (I guess that is on my to do list.) We are also planning a trip to LaserQuest for those among us with excess energy who do not want to face the cold weather.

Most people I talked to from other chapters are willing to put on activities for families/kids but need people who are will do some of the planning, etc. for the event to happen. If you are able to do some of the planning try contacting your local chapter and see if there is anyone else who can help you with it.

Some of the activities you mention take very little planning -- you only need to set a date and time and advertise for people to come (chapter newsletter, email list, announcement at support meetings, etc.). Some extras like hot chocolate and cookies would make the outing.
    Cathy
    Forum Moderator
    TSFC Homepage

Default Winter Sports

Cathy:

Good idea, our's meets the second tuesday of each month. Maybe I can get something to fall into place.
    PJK

Default Winter Sports

We have done events for the kids here in this area too. We have had swimming parties, bowling and floor hockey, etc. the last thing we did was visited the science center together and had pizza afterwards... we usually organize events like you would a kids birthday party and take advantage of "party packages" some places offer. We have done this a couple of times a year. we are looking at starting a kids meeting to coincide with the parents on our meeting night which also happens to be the second Tuesday of each month. We just took 9 kids from NFLD to conference from 5 different families and they all got along well and had met at meeting we have arranged in the past. It's good for them to know other kids who have TS so they are not alone.

We budget part of our chapter funds to support the kids in our area getting to know each other. I think it is a great idea.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Winter Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Janet
    It's good for them to know other kids who have TS so they are not alone.
    Janet, I couldn't agree more! I'm definitely keeping this sort of thing in mind for the Toronto Chapter. Will keep you all posted!

Default Winter Sports

How often does your chapter meet?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College