Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I have Celiac disease!

Default I have Celiac disease!

Well, I've finally found out why I was desperately ill all summer, and never well all my life. I have Celiac disease!

I've had the symptoms of gluten intolerance all my life, which were dismissed by doctors as 'growing pains' (there is no such thing), neuralgias, irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, 'all in my head'...........really, the list is endless. But NOBODY ever tested for gluten intolerance.

Finally, in May I went into full blown Celiac disease (non-stop diarrhea all summer, terrible stomach and backaches, not absorbing nutrients, weakness, dizziness and many more).

I started on the gluten free diet less than four weeks ago. The day after I stopped having gluten the diarrhea stopped, the backaches started getting better the day after, the stomach aches went away over the course of a week, and the debilitating body (especially legs, arms and hands) and joint pains went away enough for me to stop taking codeine (which I was on 24 hours a day)!

I had been gaining weight (totally unexplained, since I ate right), which was very upsetting. Since I have cut out gluten (and a few other things I can't tolerate), I've been losing a lot of weight, and I hope to lose it all within the next year (I still would like to lose about 70 lb, to be at a good weight for my age and height). But this far I've lost nearly 20 lb.

People comment all the time on how well I look now! I am feeling much better, and I am actually starting to have some energy (I've never really had any energy).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

A bit off topic, but....

I have to disagree about there not being any such thing as growing pains. In high school, a friend of mine grew a foot and a half in less than a year! He was in so much pain from his bones and muscles changing so fast that he often wasn't able to get out of bed. The doctor monitored him and everything was normal - he was just having a very intense growth spurt!

Can you imagine growing that fast? Ow....Bet it drove his mom nuts having to buy new clothes every couple weeks! :P I remember when I was in high school, I went through a rapid growth spurt. Every month I needed new jeans. My mom had a fit :P

Okay, maybe in an extreme case like that, there might be such a thing (even though my son grew as fast as that for a year, and didn't have those pains). But I wasn't growing fast. When I was three and four my legs were in so much pain, that my mother at times had to put a chair over my legs and the blanket over that, because I couldn't even stand a blanket on my legs.

I also always had mood swings, depression even as a child, brain fog, stomach problems, ear aches (without having an ear infection), sore throats, psoriasis, itchiness all over, unable to concentrate in school and others. All of those are typical for gluten intolerance.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Uschi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis of Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance. The consolation is that you know what it is and can find strategies to deal with it.

A forum with which I was once involved, provides help in gluten fre recipes. You may wish to search their archive libraries, and search the postings. Their database is fifteen or twenty years old, so they have lots of info.

Use this URl to access the Cooks Forum as a "guest" and you'll need to register free to post or download. If you have certain types of ID's already in existence, you can use those, which are explained in the login registration:

http://community.compuserve.com/COOKS

Good luck,

Steve

Thanks, Steve, I'll check it out. Don't be sorry for the diagnosis, I've had it all my life, and it's a great relief to finally know what's wrong. Now I can get better! And the best part is, that it doesn't involve any drugs or surgery, but simply a change in diet to make me well. It might take a couple of years, but I am hopeful that finally I'll find out what it's like to be healthy. So, finally I can have real hope! The way things were going, I was going to end up in a wheelchair. And now I might do things I never thought I could!

I admire and am inspired by your wonderful positive attitude!

If you bake your own bread, I have some gluten free bread recipes, but these won't be available until I get back in April.

In the meantime, visit my friends on COOKS where I'm sure you can get lots of info.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I'd love to try your recipes next year. I went to the COOKS site, but didn't see any gluten free recipes. But I am a member of a Celiac forum, and I am getting a ton of info there, including recipes. If you feel like finding out more on Celiac, here's the link:
    www.glutenfreeforum.com

I am so glad you found your answers and can start a renewed life.

Take care.
    PJK