Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Re-Directing Tics

Default Re-Directing Tics

This is a little bit off the subject:

I was actually able to re-direct or block tics, before I found out about Tourette's. However, it was not exactly a healthy way to re-direct symptoms. I can discuss in another thread if anyone is interested. However, I was able to learn how to postively re-direct through other techniques.

I guess what I'm saying is: behavior therapy, re-direction, meditation, breathing techniques, whatever it is, works on tics if you BELIEVE that they do, assuming the technique is something valid for focus, control, calming the body or mind, etc.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Default Re-Directing Tics

sounds interesting

Default Re: Re-Directing Tics

I like to think that my re-directing my tics work, and it does for the most part. But every now and again (usually during difficult exams) my TS puts me back in my place and sets off a series of unstoppable tics for extended periods of time.

I like to think that my re-directing my tics work, and it does for the most part. But every now and again (usually during difficult exams) my TS puts me back in my place and sets off a series of unstoppable tics for extended periods of time.
    It is thought that people with Tourette have a higher baseline anxiety level that the general population, probably because we are constantly on guard when trying to suppress tics.

In situations where there is added stress, such as when taking exams, the new stress accumulates to the already high stress level, and as we know that tics are made worse by stress it is to be expected that tic activity would increase under these circumstances.

Does this added tic activity cause you any difficulty with fellow students or teachers?
    Last edited by Steve; January 18, 2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: edits

While my added tics tend not to bother my professors and peers in my special education classes, I tend to have a lot of problems in classes outside my major.

Because of my hearing loss I have trouble hearing some of my professors who have habits which do not lend themselves to being heard well, such as always facing the board, or mumbling. I had a professor a few semesters ago who did just that. I didn't have a chance, while I was always good at math, I soon found myself in a position where I had no idea what was going on about 3/4ths of the time. Because I couldn't follow and focus on the material my tics would start up, which would draw nervous looks from the other students. The teacher just ignored me in the beginning, then worked his way towards open hostility. Since it was a math class, I didn't take my test at the DSS so as to be able to ask the professor questions. While my vocal tics are never bad, or at least not very audible, I was soon coughing very loudly and making all sorts of weird noises. then my arms started flailing. It was a mess. Sufficient to say that I ended the course with a D. I decided to take the course again, this time over the summer, where there would be fewer students, and I had talked to the professor before the semester started. The class was much nicer, and I ended it with an A+. Now if that doesn't tell you something about the importance of a decent professor than I don't know what does.
    TS and Chorn's disease, two diseases triggered by stress. Why am I going into special education one of the most stressful professions out there?

This is a great example of how important it it that people with TS be comfortable to advocate for themselves. It is your money when in program such as these so taking the initiative to meet with the prof ahead of time is great.

Thanks for sharing this story. There are many Teens with TS who participate in our forum and they can certainly benefit from lessons or best practises you can share about being in college.

The need for a good educator is critical in the success of a student.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College