Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are Your Christmas Plans?

Default What are Your Christmas Plans?

How will you be spending your Christmas? Will you be getting together with family you don't see during the year? Perhaps heading to distant place? What special traditions are part of your family Christmas?

Steve

The holiday season is a big thing in our family with people getting together and to much food.

I like Christmas eve the most, all the children of the family collect for gift giving from Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents.
    My mother in-law is very religious and prayer comes before presents. Sometimes more then the kids can handle.... :lol:
    We have a dinner that evening of cold cuts and sweets before mass.

I am looking forward to it this year because my son is home with us now. We also have a grandson that will be visiting for a short stay that is growing up so fast. My husband has been able to see him and hold him but I have yet to do either. So this Christmas will be very special to me.

How does your family enjoy the holiday season?
    PJK

PJK,

Your family Christmas traditions sound very heartwarming. Looking forward to meeting a new grandson would certainly add to your pleasure.

My family is very small and becoming smaller as our aging parents have passed on. There are no brothers or sisters, so my wife and I spend Christmas with close friends.

As we are "snowbirds" our Christmas is spent among palm trees. Nevertheless Christmas decorations are already up in our community, having gone up on U.S. Thanksgiving November 24th.

There will be a golf cart Christmas parade in two weeks in our little community and a large Christmas parade next week in town.

Our circle of friends usually arrange a "tailgate potluck party" before the big Christmas parade, then we catch all the candy tossed by the people on the floats in the parade.

On Christmas Eve we attend a service in one of the churches in town, and we like to visit different churches to experience the type of service celebrated by various denominations.

Depending on which of our friends has not gone back up north for the Holidays, we'll arrange to share Christmas dinner with the friends who stay behind.

Our community becomes very quiet at Christmas time, because many people with grand kids head north for the Holidays.

Today was the golf cart Christmas parade here in our community, so we got together with our close friends, bundled up in our warmest shorts and tee shirts and greeted the golf carts as they drove by.

Yesterday was the Santa Claus parade in Titusville where just about anything with wheels was rollled out and decorated.

Again our friends got together before the parade and had a tailgate party while waiting for the parade to begin.

One participant in both days festivities decided to get right into the spirit of things, and...

Click Here to see the result!

Steve:

After much thought and consideration all our family will be together Christmas eve. The experience should be a good one for my son and he likes my mother and father in-laws place.
    The number is down this year with family going different directions.

I have decided to have my own Christmas celebration at home for my son & daughter.
    Everyone is going to my sister in-laws place for dinner and usually the process is about 5 hours long.
    Unfortunately they have a set of twin girls that do not always behave well and can target my son.
    This year it is hard to say how he would react.

I've talked to the father, my brother in-law in the recent past about the behavior but did not make any progress on the subject so there is no support from the parents.

Putting a child with TS and a cocktail of other disorders and issues into a atmosphere like that is just unfair and I think it would set him off this year.
    He does not need his spirit broken after all the effort we have put forth to make him feel better about himself.

I guess being a part of family functions over the holiday has its down side as much as good points.

My question to readers is: Have any of you felt this way to protect your son or daughter and avoid a promised melt down during large family gatherings?

I hope everyone on the TSFC forum has a safe & great holiday season & happy new year. :D
    PJK

PJK,

I wish everyone on our Forum the best of the Holiday Season, in whatever tradition it might be observed. A special thank you to those who are regular contributors to the Forum, making it the successful venue for Tourette support that it is.

In answer toy our question about whether being cautious and considerate for everyone concerned when trying to avoid stress or disruption is a sensible approach.

I believe this is the first year the whole family gets together in your case, so it makes sense to acclimate everyone in small controllable groups rather than having your son confronted by an overwhelming assortment of persons and personalities.

This is a daunting situation for many adults....think of how some people get along fine is a social group of two or three, but dislike being thrust into a large cocktail party situation.

We should do things that comply with our comfort level, and not put ourselves into anxiety provoking situations..

Steve:

Thank you, I just bought my own turkey to prepare and all the shopping is done. Wow, it only took me three hours...but I did it.
    PJK

Have a wonderful time with your family!

Uschi:

It sounds like you had a great time this year.

I realize this is off topic, but maybe the gravy did you in. Some people use regular flour to firm it up.

The recipe sounds great.

All the family complained when my husband came in with sugar cookies instead of my chocolate chip. I worried about my husband and daughter driving so far away in the weather. They made it home late but safe.

I stayed at home this year with my son and cooked our turkey the evening before. He had a good holiday and appreciated the gifts he received.

When we were over at the in-laws the evening before he found some teddy bears in a bag and was very happy with Dad gave them to him to keep.

It was very disturbing to hear what use to happen to his stuffed animals in the past. It is a shame he has missed so much, but seems to be trying to catch up now.
    PJK

PJK, I skipped the mashed potatoes and gravy, because my sister-in-law forgot, and put flour in the gravy, and butter into the potatoes (I am dairy intolerant, too. So, that can't be it.

Good for you, that you skipped the 'regular' Christmas routine for your son's sake. I am sure he is much happier for it.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).