Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chanukah Plans

Default Chanukah Plans

Happy Chanukah to our friends who will be celebrating this year (Jewish Year 5766) sunset December 25, 2005 - nightfall January 2, 2006

(first candle: night of 12/25; last candle: night of 1/1).

Virtual Chanukah appears to be an informative source for information.

Share with us the traditions of Chanukah so those of us who are not familiar with it can learn more about this time of year in your faith.

Default Chanukah Plans

I like the Menorah! Cool graphic.

Chanukah is really a bigger deal in the US, Canada, and Western Europe. You know, something to have near Xmas to fit in a little bit more. Basically, we won a war. The oil should have burnt out, but it lasted for 8 days. Then reinforcements showed up. We won. It is not really as big a deal on the Jewish calendar as some other more important holidays.

Yes, The Tourette Tiger is a Jew, but an irreverant Jew.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Default Chanukah Plans

Darin,

Are there special traditions that are observed in your family in connection with Chanukah?

Default Chanukah Plans

Well, to be brutally honest, arranging holiday calendars is part of my family tradition. Now that my brother and I are adults and don't live at home (remember that's not mutually exclusive) it is even more fun.

But, on a more Kosher note:

Koogel (noodle casserole), macaroons, gefilte fish, brisket, matzoh dishes, especially matzoh ball soup!. Food traditions come to mind first. Wonder why? A lot of Jewish holidays go like this: "We won the war, let's eat!" No, really - I'm serious. Ask around...

Lighting the candles is always cool. We usually are pretty militant (like being at the Kentucky derby) about betting on which candle will last longest.

We play dreydel, of course. Let's teach those young Jewish children how to play money games ASAP. Ha ha ha.

And, of course, presents. I know this is a cliche' now, but this really happened to me. My friends at school asked if I really got presents for eight days. Yes, I told them, but don't forget, they are more likely to be traditional Jewish gifts. Getting a remote control car on Chanukah was not as likely as getting socks, underwear, writing utensils (no joke), savings bonds, school supplies, nice clothes, custom yarmulkes, etc. As far as I can tell, over the last 25 years, American Jews have gotten more festive in their Chanukah shopping, at least amongst the Reformed Jews.

But, as for getting a Barbie Dream House or a G.I. Joe with KungFu Grip as a Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur gift, the struggle continues.

ps: I have to ask, and I admit I have no idea, does anyone know anyone Jewish who knows Hebrew who has coprolalia? And what would you blurt out in Hebrew, anyway? And don't say, "Oi". I already thought of that... It is Yiddish, not Hebrew.

Default Chanukah Plans

Darin:

When I was growing up we often celebrated the holiday season in Ft. L Florida. When this happened we celebrated "ChristmaCha" and no the famous California TV show did not create the holiday name, my late cousin Larry did. :lol:

I can still remember the food and all the wonderful scents flowing though the big home. It made the holiday real in 92 degree temps surrounded by palm trees.

Gifts were traditional and non-traditional. I think mostly because we only saw him once a year and he liked having family around.
    Thank you for your detailed post it brought back fond memories and made me smile.
    PJK

Default Chanukah Plans

You are quite welcome. I think most people forget that you don't get a lot of snow in Judea / Canaan. Whether Jewish or Christian, having snow for the holidays is NOT part of the tradition, at least not originally.

For you Pagans out there, it makes more sense you guys look forward to snow as part of the Winter Festival. Doesn't that religon stem from the north-west of Europe? StoneHenge is on the "island" after all...