Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Adult cronic vocal tic disorder

Default Adult cronic vocal tic disorder

Hello everyone! I can't believe I came across this bulletin board.

For the past 10 years I have been constantly clearing my throat. Sometimes it is worse that others. I could not find any solution to what was causing it. Over the years I have seen 6 doctors and been on every kind of medicine but nothing helped. The last doctor said it may be cronic vocal tic disorder. I had never heard of this but after researching the internet I found that I am NOT ALONE.

I am 72 years old and I know it is unusual for someone my age to have this condition but now I know that there are people out there who actually experience this same problem. I thought I was going crazy.

I would appreciate hearing from any other adult who is going through problem.
    Thanks!!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette

Jeanette:

Welcome to the TSFC forum and I am glad you found us.

What you are describing can happen to anyone and half the battle is determining why.

Now that you have been given some answers I hope you can also be provided with some help.

My son displayed this tic early but since does not seem to have it as much.
    There are a lot of adults with TS. You may want to visit the Adult forum and post your question there too.

You may also want to visit Vocal Tics (clearing throat) there are a number of postings there and some with your same experiences.

You can copy and paste too, so you do not have to start over.

The one thing you will find on this forum is a lot of support.

Take care,
    PJK

Hello Jeanette! Welcome to the TSFC Forum.

One of the greatest frustrations for those of us afflicted with Tourette or similar disorder which is frequently misdiagnosed or misunderstood is that we feel we are the only ones in the world doing these things.

Like you it was only in later life, during my forties that I learned that the things I did actually had a name and that I was not alone.

You can benefit from sharing your concerns and asking your questions here as well as locating a local support group.

Have you talked about your new found diagnosis with friends and family members? What was their reaction?

If you have children, a some point you may wish to have a conversation with them to alert them if they have or plan to have children. The information should be passed on to children and grandchildren so they can be aware of the family history of this genetic disorder.

Hi Jeanette,

glad you have found us. It isn't that uncommon for people to be undiagnosed until later in life, or to never find out what the problem is. I was diagnosed with several things this past year, one of them was TS, at the age of 51. And I have been constantly clearing my throat all my life. I do have quite a few other tics, but that is the only one that has been a constant, it never goes away, not even for a day. And no medication can stop it, because there is nothing medically causing it, it's just a tic.

I hope you feel better about yourself, now that you understand. I found it was such a relief to know what the problem was!

Take care,

Ursula
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Welcome!

I've had a throat-clearing tic on and off for much of my life. It's not overwhelmingly fun, I know.

I hope you keep coming back... there's lots of help available here!
    Colin

Jeanette:

Welcome aboard! Yes, that's a pun, just not a good one.

Folks: Jeanette is working very hard to learn how to use the BBoard. Please send her encouragement! I am so glad to see new faces and talk to new ticcers!

As for your posting, Jeanette, I have been sniffling, coughing, clearing, scraping, clicking, flicking, and clucking (but not all at once - thank the Universe for small favors) since I was a little kid. I had bad allergies <achoo> and everyone, including several MDs thought it was all ENT (ear, nose, and throat) stuff, and not neurology. Oh, were they wrong! Ha ha.

Ready for the ironic part: the white cells (macrophages, I think) in your blood that fight disease and viruses have finally been identified: they are floating neurons (nerve cells). That means that people who have TS, who have problems with dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin - chemicals that your brain uses to share information between neurons - not only have communication problems in their brains, which probably cause tics - but also have communication problems in their immune system. That would mean we are more susceptible to allergies and other kinds of "my body is not reacting normally to an illness or condition" problem, like skin rashes, strep, infections, etc.

So not only are we sending TS kids to allergists, opticians, and ENT doctors because of tics, but those same TS kids are more likely to NEED those doctors ANYWAY. Oy vey! I never saw a more beautiful example of "don't burn bridges" in my life - do not offend the allergy doctor - you might need her later. Just get her a Q&A pamphlet and the phone # of the local TS chapter. :-)
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger