Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yay, coprolalia.

Default Yay, coprolalia.

I've never had any coprolalia until recently. Now, I've developed an ongoing swearing tic, and it feels like the start of something fun.

By fun, I mean challenging. And by challenging, I mean difficult. I'm hoping its temporary, but it's extremely difficult not to do this at work, and in other social situations.

It seems about right, though. My TS has been building up steadily for the past couple of years... I suppose this may just be a new level.
    Colin

Default yay, coprolalia.

Cailean,

How has been your ability to re direct or suppress in the past? Are you able to employ these same stategies to suppress the newly emerging coprolalia?

Sometimes trying to whisper the word or phrase can provide sufficient "satisfaction" to get by.

Has it caused you any difficulty so far?

Default yay, coprolalia.

So far, I've been able to supress it in public -- or at least reduce it to an inaudible whisper. I'm concerned about it at work though... but so far, it's only been annoying.
    Colin

Default yay, coprolalia.

I find I'll swear at people in my head, or think racist thoughts (which frighten me, because I am not in the least racist), but this far I have been able to never say them (or just whisper them). I hope it stays that way! I can't seem to stop the thoughts, and find them distressing, because I am afraid that some day I'll have to say them out loud, and I think I wouldn't go out any more than.

Cailean, I hope it won't get worse for you.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default yay, coprolalia.

I'm already there with my son.

I had to take him to the mall to pick up his sister from work recently.

What he says repeatedly is not appropriate and often he whispers it to get the release.

Someone heard him and made their opinion clear to the store. We were not even in that store but my daughter work's there.

I told her next time someone has an opinion tell them that he has TS and it was not directed at them.

This is a current problem, though in the past we thought it was due to other factors and ruled out. A pattern has emerged they we can not deny so here we go.... :oops:

I am surprised over others reactions to think they would believe someone would let a 12 year old run around the mall and say words while standing by a parent....obviously there is good reason other people can't see through.
    PJK

Default yay, coprolalia.

I too, like uschi, have had those tics mentally and it sorta makes me nervous cause I dont want to think them and I dont want to accidentally say them out loud.
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default yay, coprolalia.

Well, mine have now escalated to loud yelling in the office.

Something along the lines of "F$&#... yes....NO!"

Frequently.

Fortunately (i guess) it's in a bit of an odd scratchy voice so it's not that easy to tell what I'm saying.

I hate this.
    Colin

Default yay, coprolalia.

Cailean:

Could stressing over them getting worse make them worse?

I know stress is a factor with my son. It is obvious that being out in public or groups pushes him to far sometimes and always in public this happens to him now.

You know the feeling that you don't want something to happen and you keep telling yourself you wont let it happen and then it does?

I've seen this with my son's head and neck tic's...it is like a trigger that he knows is there and does not want it to surface, then it does and it just seems to be worse when it does.

Usually when words come they are at a lower whisper or tone. They can still be heard but only by someone close by or passing by him. I guess this makes it seem they are directed at the person closest to him.

Maybe you can find a way to redirect them or possibly leaving the surroundings would help for a short bit until you feel better.

What kind of lighting do you have in the office?

It can make a difference to some with TS. It certainly has with my son in a school setting. For him being near a large window helps offset the lighting a bit.

Maybe if you can figure out the trigger it will help. You are not alone in this.

Please keep us posted, talking it out sometimes helps find the answers we need.
    PJK

vschreiner

Default How do you want others to respond to you?

I have recently moved into a position at work and in this job I have frequent interaction with a man who has extremely frequent profane verbal tics. They are contextual (the n word when he is talking to the Indian employees and generally sexual whenever he is talking to me --the only woman that has interface with the group at all-- I hear a LOT of c*** ) He clearly has Tourette's as they are accompanied by other tics that I have seen more frequently but are far less intrusive to the work setting. I had a three-hour meeting with him yesterday and I think I did pretty well to just keep a straight face and ignore the outbursts--is that what I should do?

This particular man is extremely talented in his area of expertise which does not require customer interaction (where the explanations required would be too frequent). I really just want to know from those of you who suffer with TS how you would want to be treated in this sort of professional setting. The sexual nature of the comments does make it a little interesting for me to try and ignore ( I am a pretty sheltered minister's wife!) But I am very willing to do whatever will make him the most comfortable so let me know what you think. Thanks!

Default yay, coprolalia.

Welcome vschreiner and thank you for your interest in learning more about your colleague who appears to be afflicted with Tourette.

The tics emanate from a part of the brain which in the general population controls inhibitions. The neurological disorder results in the person with Tourette to utter words or phrases which are opposite to what the situation would call for.

Coprolalia typically involves sexual words or other forms of denigrating remarks...the opposite of what one would want to say.

The person with Tourette is fully aware of what is being said, but the compulsion is so overwhelming, like trying to hold back a sneeze or not blinking your eyes, that the remark is blurted out.

In your conversation with the man, did you ask him straight out about his Tourette? Has he been diagnosed or is he a person unaware that a disorder called Tourette Syndrome exists and that he may be afflicted?

If he is aware of his diagnosis, and is informed about the disorder, the best approach would be to interact with the man as you would anyone else and to filter out the tics...in the same way one would filter the speech of someone who would stutter.

You may wish to have an employee meeting to explain Tourette, perhaps hand out some literature which we can help you with, along with some other resources we can discuss later.

If he is unaware of his potential diagnosis, your challenge becomes more complicated. He may be living with denial, or shame in which case he may require some counseling or at least be pointed to a Tourette information or support source...if he is willing to listen.

You may wish to provide him with a "safe and secluded" workspace, where his can feel free to tic while not disturbing his co workers.

Lets keep this conversation going, as we will be pleased to work with you.

Thank you for your willingness to help your co worker to deal with his disorder with dignity.

Will look forward to hearing form you.