Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Facial Tic

Default Facial Tic

My son will expose his teeth in a grimance. It is a little disturbing to watch over and over again. :shock: Hopefully this one will pass quickly. Steph

Default Facial Tic

If indeed your son is diagnosed with Tourette, you will learn that he cannot control the way in which his tics are expressed. It won't help him nor alleviate your frustration if you reprimand him or insist he try to stop or even to modify his tics. All that does is raise his stress level and increase tic activity.

Sometimes as people with Tourette mature, they can temporarily suppress and delay their tics. It's a strategy that works for some and can be helpful in certain social or business situations as one gets older.

However the tics need to come out at some point, and the person usually figures out a way to accomplish that. Sometimes by going into a stair well or into some private space they can tic, get it out of the system then return to the social situation.

By the nature of Tourette, tics wax and wane, change and evolve over time. So todays tic may be different from the tics of next month and from next year.

Default Facial Tic

I don't get mad at him for his tics. In fact I have always ignored them because I am use to seeing my husband do them. I was saying that in my mind, which I do not say outloud to him, that I find it disturbing to watch. But it is an easy way to make sure he brushes his teeth. :D Steph

Default Facial Tic

Sorry if I misunderstood your reaction in dealing with your son;s tics. Often when a parent first learns their child is ticcing, the overwhelming reaction is to try to get the child to "stop".

I did not understand your husband was expressing tics as well.

We are here for you and will be pleased to talk about your concerns.

Regards,

Default Facial Tic

As with all tics, the facial tics wax and wane in frequency and severity.

My son has had a blinking tic for a while and recently has started pulling down his face with his hands.

I asked him about it and he said that he has to pull his face down for relief. I wonder is it just TS or is it TS+ causing him to seek this relief.

Does anyone else have this tic?

Default Re: Facial Tic

My nephew who doesnt have ts had this tic when he was younger he always had red marks under his eyes off pulling his face down.Its only since my son was diagnosed with ts that we have realised my sisters sons had a few tics too.I think thats what happens once you find out about ts you notice tics everywhere.

Default Re: Facial Tic

don't you find it likes when you buya new car all of a sudden everyone has the same car you have... heightened awareness it is.

This type of heightened awareness comes from educating everyone about what TS is and what TS is not... the result of which more and more kids are being diagnosed at an earlier age than ever before. I was not diagnosed as a kid because my family knew nothing about TS until my oldest was diagnosed.

Now I find I see tics in many people I am around and I have come to the realization that almost everyone has some form of a neurology ;)
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College