Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: TS and ADD

Default TS and ADD

Hi, it is not the tics that have an impact on my son's life but his ADD. He finds it difficult to concentrate at school and is failing. The sad thing is that he is highly motivated to do well. He works really hard and is always trying to improve. I just wish I could help him. Steph

Default TS and ADD

Steph,

Surprisingly the ADD portion of the disorder is usually more easily treatable with very effective medications for children.

When seeing your son's physician, prepare a written list of your concerns and questions so each one can be addressed.

When dealing with something new and overwhelming at first, you will find it helpful to keep a notebook. Write down the information you learn and the questions you want to ask as they occur to you.

Default TS and ADD

Steph:

Has your son been diagnosis with ADD?

There should be some assistance from your school to help you. Most have programs available or techniques that help a child in class.

If you have a diagnosis, has the Doctor considered medication or offered other options to help?

You have to be patient during the diagnosis process, sometimes it is slower then you?d like. If you have concerns about your son in school, get the school up to date by having a meeting with the teacher, principal, counselor. Make a plan of action to help him for now while you go through the process. It might help and keep developing his social skills while you find some answers.

I wish you the best and please be assured you are not alone in the process.
    PJK

Default TS and ADD

Actually it was the teacher who told us that she believed there was something wrong with our son. We are working through the diagnosis process and yes it is slow.

I have been on cloud 9 since you told me that the ADD part is more effectively treated.

I have seen tics from my husband and have not know what they were for so long, that when my son ticc also then I did not even notice it. I feel guilty for not getting help for him sooner.

Thanks for your reassuring words, Steph

Default TS and ADD

Steph:

You can't feel guilty about the past. Just focus on now.

If your son has TS, you will find that the tic's can change with time. Some stick around while others go away for periods and sometimes return.

This is one of the many reasons why you need a professional that understands TS and takes interest in the condition.

Your family Doctor may know a pediatrican locally that diagnosis multiply disorders and works with children closely through the process.
    PJK

Default TS and ADD

You can't feel guilty about the past. Just focus on now
    Very sound advice indeed. Nothing is gained by dwelling on the past, especially if one did not have adequate information.

There's the old adage that hindsight is 20/20..but if we learn from our past experiences and gain the knowledge we need, we can equip ourselves to make informed decisions.

Default TS and ADD

Aw Steph its not your fault!!! I have ADD too and getting an IEP and so forth is really really helpful....When I was younger I could never admit that I had ADD and never asked for help b/c I was to embarressed or always trying to hide the things I didn't know. I was deathly afraid of asking my treachers for help b/c they'd be like "omg that kids so out of it" and they judge you.... But having a Spec ed room I could jus go to was like sooo helpful were I could ask my spec ed teachers for help who understood...Things opened up for me when I allowed ppl to help me...my parents always lost their temper w/ me so I never asked them for help. Encouragement is soooo benificial and the ppl who encouraged me are what allowed me to ask for the help thats lead me to success. So I suggest whether hes dxed or not to go to the teacher and work out things together. Try not to make your son feel too limited if hes showing the same old same old ADD symptoms try not to get to angry and use to many consiquences. Just ask "whats goin on?". I dunno lol of course im going to say that im a teen who totally resents my parents 4 putting me on restrictions for a month!!!!!! Obviously you are understanding and thats the biggest element to helping him so dont be to hard on yourself. If you decide to try medication (which really helps me by the way...) watch out for certain stimulants..cuz with some ppl it increases Tics like me. Okie dokie I'll shut up. Take care! Roooooooolll um up moooove um out.
    ~Alley
    (omg I luv these tic smileys!) :lol: <---haha its me

Default TS and ADD

Thanks Alley,

You are so sweet and I do not get angry because of my son's ADD symptoms. He is the apple of my eye and the love of my life!!

Actually alot has happened since that post. I have learned many things on this website and I have applied them to our life together. My son has grown and changed with me and now has excelled at school.

Growing up is hard and we are always here to listen. Please don't stop talking because we love to hear from you.

I love the smileys too! Steph