Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Third Generation GTS

Default Third Generation GTS

Well, it is official. As of this last month or so, my seven year old daughter

http://www.sharizellers.com/portraits2.htm

has started ticcing. It appears to be in her eyes, and she is also doing some strange throat noises, but I believe they are more a sensory issue than a true vocal tic. But the chances she just has motor tics are, well, most likely zero.

The reason I post this here is: Does anyone else know of a third generation DIAGNOSED with GTS? GTS is the Tourette gene group, that gives us the *wonderful* disorders TS, ADHD, and OCD. Yes, I know that if it is genetic then EVERY generation in my family had it somewhere. But I am wondering about diagnosis. I know some people who might qualify, but asking them about this poses a question, since they have to be willing to admit to having one of these disorders. In people old enough to have grand-children, this can be problematic.

And, of course, my hopes that Julianna would NOT have full blown TS are shattered. I cry a little bit about this, but really I am very hopeful, since I have been parenting her with the assumption she was ADHD and OCD, laying the ground work for therapy / intervention on her TS+. You could say I threw her in the pool and helped her get used to swimming way early. I hope it works. And of course, I am going to have to take some notes for a future book on the TS parenting perspective, from the view point that I knew she had it BEFORE she was born, and how that changed things. Hmmm. We'll see.

And more good news: I'm going to try to audio tape our discussions on TS, and see if I can use that as a framework for writing a book about talking to small kids about the fact that THEY have TS+. Nope, I do not think it will be easy. Or painless. But I have to try.
    Darin M. Bush, The Tourette Tiger, author of "Tiger Trails"
    http://www.facebook.com/tourettetiger

Darin:

With your strength, guidance and love I am sure Julianna will know she is a wonderful child full of promise.

There may be some people out there that can say they are GTS but I wonder with the lack of quality diagnosis over the years if that time will come before 10 or 20 years from now.

I think the idea of a book for parents and children is great. It would be nice if we had books geared to 7 & under, 8 - 11, 12 - 16. The stages are so different in development and understanding. The tics can be different too at these stages.

It would be a wonderful gift to other parents and children and a loving tribute to your daughter.

Please keep us posted and know you will find support here.
    PJK

Hey, thanks so much. I'm overwhelmed. No joke at all.

Now that I think about what you have said here, you are right. I've been trying to come up with a way to do one book for TS+ for kids. But they need several: a series. It gets more advanced as you get older. And puberty changes things dramatically. Thanks for the inspiration!

-----

Okay, here come the jokes:

"Tic the Bunny"
    "James and the Giant OCD"
    "Aesop's (shirt) Labels"
    "Harry Potter and the Impulsive Utterances"
    "The Lion, The Twitch, and the Homework"
    "Where the Wild Things Are"

Darin,

Could you write a book on how to tell children that they have tourette syndrome.

Or how about a book for adults to explain tourette syndrome to their family.

Or a comic book with a child who has tourette syndrome as the hero in the story.

Just some ideas. Steph

Good ideas Steph!
    PJK

Stephanie, I'll work on it. Promise.

Thanks Darin,

It is good to see you and I hope you will drop in more often.

We need your wisdom!

BTW I do hope you write those books!

Stephanie

You'll love this, Stephanie: my latest TS assignment was an article on side effects from medication that affect men, but not women, for the obvious reasons. Ugh!! It's hard to write with your legs crossed... I have to admit, I'm glad I'm not a writer for the CDC or some hospital or the FBI Crime Lab, or any doctor that works below the tonsils. Ha ha ha.

I'm ashamed to say that this article totally hamstrung my other writing stuff. Well, that's not true, I've been 'off the wagon' writing wise for a few months now. It's not writer's block, it's writer's life. Heh.

But I appreciate the encouragement. I just wish I could get it all out of my head onto paper. I mean, I am ADHD / OCD, after all...

Thanks again!