Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No News Yet

Default No News Yet

Hi, I phoned the ped again today trying to set up an appointment soon and the secretary said that none is available for at least two months. My son will be almost finished this year of school before he gets any meds for his ADD. I cried when I hung up the phone because I was so upset. My son is really smart but that has nothing to do with his ADD, I don't mean to sound like a broken record but I feel so helpless. Steph

Default No News Yet

Steph,

Are you in an area where there is a TSFC support group or contact person?

Is there a Childrens' Hopsital easily accessible where you might check into locating a support group?

If no local support is available, please use our resources here as your sounding board. We are here for you and available to listen.

Together we will try to help you throught this difficult time.

Warm regards,

Default No News Yet

Hi, I live in Newfoundland and I live a long ways away from a support group and the children's hospital is an 8 hour drive away.

I am so happy that I found this support group in order to help my son and its nice to know we are not alone.

My son and I are both home today sick and his Tics are really bad. He barely sits down because when he stands he can do more tics with both his arms and his legs.

Does TS help cause difficulty in going to sleep? My son is a night owl and he didn't get that from me because I love my sleep. Thanks for the support. Steph

Default No News Yet

Does TS help cause difficulty in going to sleep? My son is a night owl
    {Chuckle} You have described me!!!

I have a great deal of difficulty falling asleep, whereas my wife can put her head down on the pillow and go out like a light!!

I don;t know if it's Tourette related, although difficulty to fall asleep is generally associated with an elevated state of anxiety.

It is believed that people with Tourette may have a higher baseline anxiety level than the general population, which might be why anxiety producing situations that are taken in stride by the general population may cause a person with Tourette to become very anxious.

Discuss it with your son's physician, and though sleep aid medication (hypnotics) are not recommended or indicated for children, your physician may provide some non medicinal strategies for falling asleep.

This sounds like an excellent topic for a discussion thread, and you may wish to start a discussion on "non medicinal sleep aids".

BTW have you made contact with Janet, our Forum moderator who resides in St. Johns?

Default No News Yet

Would it be possible to call your Doctor's office back and ask who in your area provides support?

In our area we have an after hour program through the Mental Health Department. They will even come out to your home before 10pm. I found from experience that the workers are supportive and give sound advice over the phone.
    They also report back to someone during in the morning before their shift is over. Possibly you can build a file this way to push for more help.

As a Mom I tend to be the one that makes the wheel roll faster and that is not always a good reputation to have. :lol:

I do understand your frustration as do so many other parents on this forum.

I hope you continue to post and know you have support here.

Warm regards,
    PJK

Default No News Yet

Hi, I know my son has a higher anxiety level than me. I always thought he was just sensitive but now I realize it is part of TS. To help him get to sleep, I do a bedtime routine but lots of time all he needs is to hear a strange sound or something similar and he is wide awake.

I don't really feel that we need support as you suggested PJK, but thank you. We just need to see the ped in order to get meds for his ADD. Emotionally I find it hard waiting for help, however my son is ok with it. Steph

Default No News Yet

I'm both a night owl, AND one of those people who can put my head on my pillow and go to sleep. :\

Default No News Yet

I don't really feel that we need support
    A support group is an opportunity to share common experiences among a peer group. A support group provides validation, compassion and understanding along with a way to learn coping strategies from others experiencing the same challenges.

You may or not benefit from such an experience, but from personal experience as a person with Tourette as well as a support provider I can assure you that your son can benefit from interacting with other young people with the disorder.

Among other things, he will develop a healthy perspective of his own Tourette, and gain a better understanding he is not isolated in his disorder.

Isolation is the most common psychological response to a disorder like Tourette, and in order to deal with the world as a successful and confident adult, a healthy broad view of Tourette Syndrome is the best strategy.

This can be achieved by attending a local support organization or perhaps the Annual Convention of the TSFC.

Default No News Yet

But Steve, she suggested a mental health professional and I don't feel that we need their assistance at this point in our lives. For my son and I, we just need some help with his ADD.

However, when he gets the diagnosis then we will seek out a support group for the benefit of my son. I agree it will help him understand that he is not alone with TS. For right now accepting him and treating him as a normal kid with love and support is most important. Thanks, Steph

Default No News Yet

suggested a mental health professional
    My eyes read faster than my mind

Steve