Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: In service program

Default In service program

With much success, I am laying the ground work for a in service program for my son's new school so hopefully his adjustments will be a bit easier on him this time. :D

I was disappointed to find that the monthly meetings at our local chapter were not responsive over the past couple years and our local contact stopped doing them and passed the torch to someone else.
    PJK

PJK

Is there anyone in your area chapter who you know is a sanctioned in-service provider?

For those of you who are interested in being trained, at the past two annual conferences this training has been offered. Hopefully it will be offered again this coming year in Sept 2006.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet:

Yes and I've been informed I can contact the Toronto office if he is unable to help us.
    PJK

Great news, my meeting with the school went well this morning. It will take a week or two to place him with everything he needs.

They realize he wants his independence and will provide it but over the first six weeks will gradually reintroduce him to a school setting going half days.

Because of his learning abilities, they are placing him in 7 grade but the class is small and the teacher works with students one on one to assist them in their studies.

They welcomed a in service worker to come and hope it will be able to happen before he begins school. The admitted that they are aware of some other disorders but not TS.

Others said they saw the Dr. Phil program and were disappointed that they did not focus more on the disorder and provide more answers.

They all agreed they needed to be educated before they could educate my son.

I am thrilled we received such a good jump start. It is such a change from what we have experienced in the past. They are aware of this and the trust concerns they will face with my son due to past experiences.
    PJK

PJK,

I'm very happy for you and for your son on the positive progress you have made with his school.

What will you do for the in service presentation?

Steve

Steve:

I am waiting to hear from the volunteer in our area that was recommended. I have called the Toronto Chapter to see who else is available if he can not help me.

I know the person at the Chapter that handles this and am waiting to hear from her too.

The school would like this done within two weeks to assure my son is settled in afterward.

I have not made any effort yet to pursue volunteering myself and being trained with my schedule right now.

I am just so glad that the school is being supportive and wants to make this experience work for him. :D
    PJK

This is great PJK. I hope you get someone to go into the class. They sound like they are so supportive.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

The teachers are meeting on Monday so a plan will be in place for them to be educated separately from the students.

The principal is to call me with a time/date that will work. I've already provided some time lines for them to work around with his work schedule.
    PJK

Well the in service program was this afternoon and I was able to attend in the back drop. Wow! was it great.

We did not expect very many questions afterward but many had them and we ran out of time.

The meeting went well afterward with the principal and she will be scheduling a program for the teachers on their PA day coming up. She felt that it was most important to get the information out there to all the teachers.

She will be visiting this forum and I have invited her to join in and participate.

It is wonderful to have such a caring educator take interest in a condition that effects the children that are taught. Her school is an excellent example of her. It was also kind of neat to see the light bulb come on while listening to the program as she remembered other children and how their parents responded and treated them.
    PJK

Hi PJK

I am so glad that all went well at the in-service. I am doing an in-service with the staff of my son's junior high school tomorrow afternoon. They have three students they know of in their school with TS and all with very different issues and concerns. There is so much to share and so little time. I am hoping that if they feel they want more following my time with them they will request further info and I will facilitate a more thorough session on one of their PD days.

It's great to hear that the environment of the school is so inclusive... shows how much things have changed over time with such a focus on acceptance and education these days.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage