Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 5-htp

Default 5-htp

Hi everyone, I haven't visited for some time. My son is seeing someone, and the doctor is considering an aspergers diagnosis. Our main concern right now is our son's explosive anger-very scary sometimes, and his overall low mood. The doctor mentioned 5-htp(our son is not on any meds) as an option. I've been very wary about medications is the past, but I think we need to look at something that's going to help my sons mood - which will hopefully make him start feeling better about himself-very angry 14 year old he is. Anyway has anyone tried 5-htp? Everything I have read has me believing it is fairly safe,less side effects than prozac and can be just as effective. I haven't been able to find anything about long term use though. Any input would really help. Thanks

Default 5-htp

The doctor mentioned 5-htp(our son is not on any meds) as an option
    What is your physician's rationale for suggesting a herbal preparation rather than a prescription medication?

Default 5-htp

Maria, I used 5HTP for a long time, it has really no side effects and works. What it does is, it helps the brain produce more serotonin, which is usually very low in people with Asperger Syndrome, causing depression, sleep problems, low energy and moodiness.

SSRIs, like Prozac, suppress the production of serotonin, making the problem worse in autistic people (while possibly helping others, that have the opposite problem, that is overproduction of serotonin).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Default 5-htp

Uschi, How long were you on it, and why are you not using it any longer?Also how long were you on it before you felt it was helping? And sorry Steve I replied to your question, but submitted under a new heading.

Default 5-htp

Because two parallel discussion taking place on the same topic, this thread is now locked and further responses should be posted HERE