Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Insurance challenge

Default The Insurance challenge

Just an update on what I have discovered to date...
    This is from the adult perspective which could give some insight into why children are being denied insurance or charged higher premiums.

A couple of other adults with TS + who were able to get basic life insurance (at standard rates) but who had to pay higher premiums and/or were not eligible for guaranteed insurable (GI) either through Clarica (major insurance company in Ontario) nor through State Farm (as of 2003. Guaranteed Insurability (GI) is not offered to anyone that is a special risk for medical reasons. From the cases that people have shared TS+ is viewed as a medical risk according to some (many?) underwriters.

If children have TS+, the underwriters may argue that as a result of the medications and associated conditions (bi-polar, depression etc.) there could be a risk. For example, depression is a risk. Everything is one a sliding scale. Being treated for depression puts you at the top of the list (in a bad/denied insurance sort of way).

According to my source people can be either denied or charged higher premiums if they are taking medications for such things as bi-polar disorder and fall under the "higher risk category."

I would like to ask the other adults out there about their own insurance situation. Have you been honest in terms of recording the TS? Have others been denied private insurance? Have people been denied higher coverage because of the TS or the associated conditions?

This could be a very bad thing. All that is needed is the right education.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet:

Insurance companies are there to make a profit first and provide a service second.
    If their priorities did not fall into place in this order there would be fewer Insurance Companies.

I have always paid more for coverage for both of my children. Premiums at one point were raised 75% above the original costs in one year and continued at a 45% increase annually. When you run out of money to pay and your policy lapse no one else will cover you.

Most group coverages do not discriminate against our children, though any coverage that asked if your child is disabled on the application or ask about mental disability probably will. I found "Ryder's" are not common in Ontario and this is one way insurance companies limit the coverage in the states but still provide coverage to families.

Gerber covered mine for life when I had no group coverage and others declined me coverage for both life and health due to "pre-existing" conditions.

I do not look at my son as being disabled but after doing some reading TS+ can be considered just that. I heard this mentioned during one of my first school meetings with board members in Ontario.

So if the school board thinks this way, government does too. This gives the Insurance companies the pull to make their own restrictions and they are protected by the government on their decision.

The school board gets the funding they need for programs and special care academical and emotionally for counseling. For this reason TS+ has been labeled and so have our children.

The programs are based on "need" not "requirement" and for this reason a label has to be attached to get the additional funding in the system to provide assistance for our children.
    I found in the past too, that even though my son received no additional care in school that he was counted on the total of "special needs" children to give the school funding for programs and additional staff.

What I am trying to express is that I feel the government should require programs for our children so that they may be successful contributors in their adult lives and not force the school systems to label our children to get the funding.

Ryder's need to be introduced into the insurance system in Canada. This helps provide coverage to everyone and restricted time period of coverage for specific medical issues. The Ryder is lifted after a period of time or left on permanently.
    At least other issues would be covered and in connection with life insurance most coverage will not pay out for extreme life styles or taking of ones life anyway.

This response is based on my personal experiences and views living in the U.S.A. & Ontario.
    PJK

PJK

I do not look at my son as being disabled but after doing some reading TS+ can be considered just that. I heard this mentioned during one of my first school meetings with board members in Ontario.

So if the school board thinks this way, government does too. This gives the Insurance companies the pull to make their own restrictions and they are protected by the government on their decision.
    If our kids are considered by the school boards as disabled, hence the government... wouldn't that give rise to the question as to whether or not we can make a claim through income tax for such a disability? From what little I know about the "tax" system, TS doesn't qualify as a disability.

If it did, then we could be saving a tremendous amount of money on tax each year plus they could possibly qualify for education funding ie for university, etc....
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Janet:

This is true and a very good question. At what level do our children fit inside the tax box? Does it just stop at local for school systems or does it go much higher?

And if they can mark our children for special funding and programs to increase the budget of the school why as parents can we not have any tax breaks and funding too?

I've only been dealing with local systems for four years in Ontario and have not found my answers yet.
    PJK

If life insurance companies' underwriters have rated or otherwise found a way to reject people with Tourette Syndrome as being higher mortality risks, their determination has to be based on data.

Whether this data is correct or not would have to be investigated by a competent body such as the regulatory body governing financial institutions motivated by a credible lobby organization.

Lobbying at this level is probably best achieved by an organization like the Tourette Syndrome Foundation of Canada.

Members of TSFC affected by this action would be advised to write to the National office to alert management of the situation and seek their assistance.

Default Insurance Issues

In the province of Ontario the boards get additional funding for students who have been identified (IPRC) and are on an IEP. Don't forget this also includes students who are gifted, not just disabled. A child with TS and no other learning challenges is currently listed under the classification of "behaviour" whether there are issues with behaviours or not. There is also to the best of my knowledge no recognition of ADHD as being a learning problem, last I heard it was also placed under the heading of behaviour.

The schools get additional funding to the tune of around $350 (best guess) to assist with the programs for children on an IEP. Those extra dollars are not specified for each child's program but are put together to fund spec ed programs AEs etc.

Getting a designation of disabled is a very slippery slope and everyone should think long and hard before even venturing down this path. I have heard that if you live in Germany and have been diagnosed with TS you can't get a driver's licence. In the USA if you are diagsosed with TS you are not eligible to serve in the military. So there seem to be major implications in certain areas.

As for insurance, many Term plans are not as stringent in the questions asked. Prior to applying and getting rejected which then has to be divulged the next company you go to, shop around. Many of the insurance sales people are very pushy and the companies deliberately make the policies complicated but there are companies out there who are doing what is best for the consumer. Don't be afraid to ask to read the application form to see what questions are asked before filling it out and definately before signing. If you are in doubt, don't complete the forms and send the agent on their way. For the most part policies on children only need to be enough to cover expenses should anything tragic happen.

We have not had any issued with family coverage on group plans, so I can't speak to that. Do some fact finding to see what is considered a "pre-existing condition" it may be that as parents we are devulging more information that is necessary and there by disqualifying ourselves. We had policies in place prior to TS diagnosis, so that may be a factor.

Hi NME

You make some very solid arguments and put things into perspective for me, that's for sure.

thanks
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Hi I am an adult and also have been turned down or told I had to pay higher than others.
    I think it may have something to do with ts sufferers being depressed
    Ironicly tho most people I know are depressed but not due to ts but just living in england lol
    life is getting better