Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breathing Hard

Default Breathing Hard

My son will breathe really hard and I can hear him doing this from across the room. I don't know if it is a coping method (I have shown him several) or if it is a ticc. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with his ability to breathe. He told me that it only goes away when he plays hockey but there are times that I don't hear him doing this. Steph

Default Breathing Hard

I personally have a "sighing" tic. It started when I had my first pregnancy. Now I catch myself at work when I am feeling a little frustrated/tense, etc. It used to draw attention but it doesn't anymore. I only know i am doing it when one of my team members makes me aware otherwise I am totally oblivious. :shock:
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Breathing Hard

It seems that tics involving breath and breathing are among the most common. They might involve sniffing, puffing, grunting, and various manipulations of the throat, lungs and diaphragm.

There is a part of Tourette where there seems to be a need to exercise a muscle function to its extreme to achieve the total "tic satisfaction factor" as I like to call it.

Therefore a breathing tic might require completely emptying one's lung capacity, or inhaling to completely fill the lungs.

Your son may have a difficult time to articulate what he needs to do to satisfy the tic urge at this time, but as he becomes more acquainted with his Tourette and as he matures, he will be able to describe his tics in greater detail.

It may help him with his comfort level if he has an opportunity to meet other young people his own age who are dealing with Tourette.

Default Breathing Hard

Steve, There is no one here with TS for him to meet with. Steph

Default Breathing Hard

Steph you're going to have to plan a trip to the city and I'll ensure he meets lots of us :D :P
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Breathing Hard

Steph

Steve is right about emptying and filling his lungs. My son has this tic and if he breaths hard and fast he nearly passes out since he is not breathing deeply.

By pushing all the air out and pulling all the air in it should relieve the tic.

Is he frightened by this?

It use to upset my son a bit because he could not seem to control his breathing for a while. Now he understands and it is alright.
    Sitting on the sofa usually makes it last longer because he can not sit up straight. If it hits and he can not manage it he straddles a chair and places his arms across the back, this opens the lungs easier and helps him complete the process.

I learned this trick with my daughter and asthma.

Taking him out in cold air will help it too. Maybe this is why he references hockey to make it stop.
    PJK

Default Breathing Hard

Hi, My son is not frightened by this. Leaning forward and holding on to something is what is called the "Tripod Position". It is common for people who have trouble breathing like asthma and COPD patients to do this in order to increase the capacity of the lungs. It is a good point about the cold air and hockey. Steph

Default Breathing Hard

hi steph
    I also have this breathing tic. It feels like I can't catch my breath or get a full breath. Thgis is a relatively new tic for me and really freaked me out the first time it happened about 2 years ago, I actually went to the hospital, I didn't know if I was having a heart attack or asthma or what! The doctors did an oxygen test and said I was fine, they didn't know what was causing it because physically my breathing and heartrate were in normal range. I checked out the symptoms of tourettes and saw this was a common tic and once I realized what it was I was able to cope with it just as any other tic. It is quite annoying though and hard on the chest because I take deep breaths. Once I become aware that I'm doing this deep breathing I can concentrate on it to slow my breathing down, it usually works.

Talk to you later

Kim

Default Breathing Hard

My son will do this ticc and I can hear him from across the room.

I am a nursing student therefore I knew that he was not having trouble breathing.

But it still freaks me out to hear him do that. Steph

Default Breathing Hard

Kimberly,

I have the exact same tic. It first happened to me during a basketball game and scared my coach and myself a lot. It started happening randomly in class as well and got me and the people around me really worried. Once we figured out it was a tic though (this was the tic that made us aware that I have TS) I have an easier time managing it with holding my breath and counting slowly until it slows down or I can inhale enough air. It was scary when it first started though!
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~