Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: How long did it take to confirm a diagnosis for Tourette once you began actively seeking a diagnosis

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than One Year

3 42.86%
  • One to Two Years

1 14.29%
  • Two to Four Years

1 14.29%
  • Four to Six Years

0 0%
  • More than Six Years

1 14.29%
  • Impossible to get a diagnosis

1 14.29%

Thread: How Long To Be Diagnosed?

Default How Long To Be Diagnosed?

Tourette Syndrome is sometimes classified as a rare disorder, though statistically the disorder affects between 1 to 3% of the general population.

Many physicians do not recognize Tourette Syndrome immediately and are puzzled by a patient presenting with the disorder.

How long did it take for you or your family member to be diagnosed and what strategies did you employ to get a competent diagnosis?

Be sure to enter your answer in the poll!

Steve, I am not sure how to vote, because I don't understand your criteria. When you're saying, how long did it take to get a diagnosis, do you mean as in once you suspect Tourette's and are actively trying to get a diagnosis? Or do you mean from when you showed symptoms, how long did it take to get somebody to notice (or yourself to finally hear about TS and know you had tics) and get a diagnosis to finally explain what's happening?
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Thank you Uschi, for noticing the ambiguity of my original question. I modified the question based on your observation and I hope I have clarified the intent.

Your noticing the ambiguity is appreciated, which proves again two sets of eyes are better than one!

Regards,

Steve

Thanks, Steve, now I could vote. Even though I struggled with tics and Tourette's all my life, once I figured out what it was, it took me less than a year to get officially diagnosed. Mind you, I had to diagnose myself for starters. Which just shows how ignorant people still are about TS (and I mean, me included, I was just as ignorant as the people around me).

The first time I even heard of TS, I was already 50 years old! And people were constantly admonishing me all my life about my 'annoying nervous habits', again, because awareness of TS is very poor.
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

I put less than a year but I think I was a lucky one for being diagnosed within a month. At the time (1990) there a leading nuerologist here in MN and he knew much about TS but it was actually my 1st grade teacher who noticed me twitch and (again lucky) she had a brother with TS and suggested it to my parents. So sometimes I must admit I dont know where some people are coming from when they explain what its like not knowing why they twitch or whatever. I have always had an answer (or exscuse) but either way, even once you know why, you always still seem to have millions of questions! lol, but thats life. the more you know, the more you dont know! :idea:
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............