Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: following me everywhere

Default following me everywhere

Has anyone's child have a tendency to follow you where ever you go.
    My son has been doing this for several months now. I told the
    psychiatrist this and my son said he doesn't know why he does it.
    This is his answer for whenever I ask him why he is doing something.
    He has Tourettes and OCD. He started 2 weeks ago on Prozac at 20 mg
    and we are to up it to 40 mg this Friday. His Tourettes is controlled
    with 3 mg of Risperdal a day. Is this an OCD issue or Tourettes? He is on Prozac for his OCD issues
    as he hears voices and talks to himself, these are his major
    symptoms. It is obsessive thoughts. I Love him, but it is really
    starting to irritate me as he only does this with me not his father or
    brothers. I come out of the bathroom and he is there. Has this
    happened to anyone else. Thanks
    Rose

Hi, my son follows me around also. He has told me that he misses me when he is gone to school and that is his reason. I must say that I love it. I know that there will come a time that my son will not live at home anymore and I probably will only see him once or twice a week and to me that is heartbreaking.

You said that he started doing this a few months ago, can you think back and see if anything happened that made him worry about you? Did you go on a trip? Or forget something? Does your son have a higher than normal anxiety level? My son has this and sometimes he can make a mountain out of a molehill therefore, what might be a little worry to us might cause him to be very upset.

Please, try and find a way to enjoy this precious time that he wants to spend with you. Steph

Hi Steph. This mostly started when we had all our hospital appointments practically in a row when we tried to get our diagnosis. I know its because I am the one who takes him to the dr's, for tests, I stayed with him overnight at Sick Kids, I explain everything to him, give him his meds. His dad isn't home much do to long work hours. But at 16 yrs old, I do find it irritating as it is non-stop. I jokingly let him know "your doing it again" and he smiles and goes away and then not 5 minutes later he is by my side watching me. If I am cooking I give him something to do, he will do it for a few seconds and then walks away. Then he is back again. I have said to him, when he feels the need to follow me, can he stop it. He says sometimes. So I think it is more OCD. Glen has no anxiety at all. The most easy-going kid,takes everything with a grain of salt. Wants to go to school, loves class trips, his TS and OCD doesn't bother him at school anymore. I do enjoy this precious time, but it does become overcrowded. He does smile when he follows me though.
    Thanks Rose

Rose:

I am sorry it took me bit to respond...

My son can go through periods of this routine and I still have a hard time leaving him with family and coming back. It is like a separation anxiety thing.

I tell him I love him often, even if he is just working on the computer and i am washing dishes or cooking...
    I take him with me as a treat when I need to drop something off and go run somewhere, then we do something together, like yesterday we bought a new fish.

Your son probably does not understand what is happening to him and realize on you more then you'd think. Emotionally all these Doctor appointments and new schedules and med's can effect them. Or at least it does with my son.

Try having a friend over if possible or going out to rent a movie and sit down and watch it with him. Confirm you are there for him and always give him a time you will return if you have to leave.

In time this will pass. It has improved for us and our case was extreme as you know.

Take care!
    PJK

Thanks PJK. Glenn and I have worked out that when I need personal time ( such as washroom or my mom calls(she is going through some rough times right now), then I will give him a silly little look. We did this couple times yesterday, it must have been quite silly cause he broke out laughing and left.

""Your son probably does not understand what is happening to him and realize on you more then you'd think. Emotionally all these Doctor appointments and new schedules and med's can effect them. Or at least it does with my son.""
    This is so true but we do talk everyday to make sure of side effects or how he feels with the new med. And I am so blessed that my sons can sayI Love You in front of anyone to me.
    Always value your advice
    Thanks Pjk and Steph
    Rose

I told the
    psychiatrist this and my son said he doesn't know why he does it.
    This is his answer for whenever I ask him why he is doing something.
    LOL! That's the safest thing to say! ;)