Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The dry strained cough

Default The dry strained cough

Recently due to stress my son is experiencing a dry strained hacking cough. There is no medical reason for this.

I have seen this before in him years ago when stress was at its worst for him.

Does anyone have any suggestions to ease the cough. I am concerned his throat will be raw after a few more days of this.
    PJK

Hi, my son does this and I tell him to concentrate on his breathing. I will look him in the eyes and deep breathe with him and sometimes this will get him to stop coughing but sometimes he coughs anyway. I hope it helps, Steph

PJK,

Because many medications interact with ingredients found in cough preparations, you would probably want to avoid syrups containing decongestants and antihistamines.

However, a cough syrup containing only an anti tussive ( anti cough) like dextromethorphan is not likely to result in drug interactions. I would double check, however with your doctor or pharmacist or even better on a drug interaction checker such as Discovery Health

If you use Discovery Health, you need to disable pop up blockers for that site, as the interaction checker works as a pop up.

Another option could be lozenges or cough drops which are generally benign preparations, but it's always a good idea to check the ingredients.

The most important consideration is a drug/drug interaction with psychotropic drugs (like those commonly used to treat Tourette and related conditions) and many prescription and over the counter preparations

Steve:

Very true.

When my son needs medications they are never over the counter for this reason.

Steph:

Thank you for your feed back. When he woke up this morning he was doing much better. It was a bad 48 hours for him. Hopefully he is more relaxed today. Any change (good/bad) can really effect him at times.

Take Care. :D
    PJK

The cough drop and hard candy route seems to work for my daughter. She has braces and recently has started to chew sugar-free gum and I will need to watch more closely to see if this helps her with this coughing too.

HI bugzmom

That is a great idea with the candy and gum. There are times when I go through sucking on the roof of my mouth and I too get dried out. I find keeping mints or gum in my mouth makes a difference.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College