Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comorbidity in Tourette Syndrome

Default Comorbidity in Tourette Syndrome

Hi, I was just wondering how many people and children have just TS and how many people have TS with ADD, TS with ADHD, TS with OCD, TS with Learning disabilities, etc.

My son has TS with ADD. Steph

Hi Steph
    My son, 16 yrs old, has TS with OCD.
    Rose

I forgot to include this in my original post.

My husband has TS and as a kid had ADD and it went away around age 12. Steph

The prevalence of Tourette syndrome is estimated at 2% of the general population. This may be a conservative estimate, since many people with very mild tics may be unaware of them and never seek medical attention. Tourette syndrome is four times as likely to occur in boys as in girls.

Source: NIH Medline

According to the TSFC, the frequency of co-occurrence is still controversial

Source: TSFC FAQ. Q: Do people with TS have other associated behaviours in addition to tics?

"The incidence of Tourette's syndrome is between .03% and .40% in general populations. However, the incidence of tics is between 4% and 12% in school age children. The incidence of Tourette's syndrome in childhood-onset OCD is 15%, and 40% to 60% of children with Tourette's syndrome have obsessive-compulsive symptoms [Leckman and others]. The incidence of tics in childhood-onset OCD is reportedly as high as 59%," Rapaport said. "Many times, like other things, if we don't ask about it, or don't look for it, we don't see it. But if we ask about it, look for it and have increased index of suspicion, it's there."

Source Psychiatric Times

Steve, I know the stats for TS and for comorbidity but it just seems to me that many, many people including children have more than just TS. I was hoping that people would put down if they have just TS or other things with it. I could be wrong but I was just curious. Steph

Steph!

I didn't know you already had this information, so for the benefit of others following the discussion, we've laid some groundwork for a better understanding of the incidence of Tourette.

Tourette may be associated with features of many other conditions.

You may wish to review Dr. Leslie Packer's Site, where you can learn about what she refers to as Tourette Plus, the name we have adopted for this discussion section.

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, non-0CD anxiety disorders, Executive Dysfunction, depression, Bipolar Disorder, autism spectrum disorders including Asperger's Disorder, 'rage attacks,' sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders.

After looking through her comprehensive overview, let us know your comments as to whether you found the information you were looking for.

Regards,

Hi Steph

Just wanted to share our family co-morbidity...

Me: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Executive Dysfunction, neurological storms, sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders.

my oldest: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Executive Dysfunction, and sleep disorders.

my second oldest: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, neurologocal storms, sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders and the most recent diagnosis to add to the mix is Dyslexia.

if and when my twins get diagnosed, I'll update you :D
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Well, here's my list (not complete though):

Asperger Syndrome which includes executive dysfunction, sensory integration problems, low stress threshhold, depression, rage attacks due to sensory overload, and a host of other problems (about another 100 of them that have been recognized as part of AS).

Severe food intolerances and environmental allergies (including Celiac disease, salicylate intolerance, which is often mistakenly referred to as 'Aspirin Allergy', since it includes a lot more than Aspirin, asthma, psoriasis, migraines and many more).

Dyscalculia (like dyslexia, but involving numbers, not letters).
    German citizen, married to a Canadian for 28 years, four daughters, one son, eight grandchildren (and one on the way).

Steph

In our case my son is the only one with TS+ (ADHD, Anxiety, PTSD, Sensory and at this point ODD is questionable)

Although I must carry the gene that helped set off the TS we do not have anyone in our family on my side with neurological disorders.

His father's side has chemical & neurological concerns with all the siblings and his mothers side of the family.

My son has an older half sister that does not have any concerns other then two medical conditions she inherited from me.
    PJK

Thank you everyone! Clearly more research is needed in TS+.

I find it interesting that there was no one who had only TS!

It seems to me that the comorbidity is what is debilitating and has a crippling effect on people's lives. Steph

Sorry again Steve.