Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's Issues

Default Women's Issues

Adult women often share they have issues that they feel are due to having TS and being female versus due to being just female or just having TS.

Examples specific to females would be the decision to have children; or perhaps stopping medications when you discovered you were pregnant; or even the side effects of meds affecting sex drive.

The TSFC has a committee called the Adult Issues committee and one of their projects this year is to explore common issues amongst the adult population.

Have you ever felt that way? If you are willing to share please let us know what challenges you have faced. What issues have you dealt with as a female that your male counterpart probably hasn't had to deal with?

Looking forward to hearing from you!
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Women's Issues

Hi Janet,

Well I don't have Tourette Syndrome, my husband and son does. I had my son before we knew that there was anything wrong with my husband therefore I didn't know that there was a possiblity of a genetic problem.

I want to have another child!! However, am I willing to take the risk of having another child with TS?

My husband doesn't worry about these issues! He feels that he has TS and he is successful so big deal.

This is something that I worry alot about. Steph

Default Women's Issues

Hi Everyone!

I ahve always thought about having children and whether I would like to or not. I am diagnosed with moderate to severe TS and I always wondered if I had a child if he/she would also have it and how severe it would be. Turns out my husband has two children so I'm not thinking of having any kids because we already have two.

If I wanted to have kids though, I wouldn't let TS stop me. It's not a disorder that would ever stop anyone from achieving his or her goals, although for children, there may be some teasing from the other kids and that can be quite hurtful.

However, already having lived through most of my life with TS, I feel that I would be much more supportive and sympathatic than my parents ever were because I know what it's all about and I've also taken the time to research the disorder a little bit.

Besides, there is research being done and who knows---the cure could be right around the corner!!

Kim

Default Women's Issues

Hi Kim,

Because my son has TS, I think that I am a better parent because of it.

TS has made me a more caring person and I think I love my son more because of the challenges he faces everyday.

Hopefully a cure is around the corner and this forum will become like a museum about Tourette Syndrome. Steph

Default Women's Issues

I feel the same way. Had I known, I would not have done anything differently. I sometimes joke about how boring my life would be if I were a "normie" and my boys were normies... most just tell me my life would be quieter :P Chances are that all 4 of my boys have some degree of TS... all have presented with both verbal and motor tics... I believe that because of the work we have done as an organization, we have definitely done a lot for increasing awareness and with knowledge comes understanding. More and more people with TS are being accepted into society without all the negative stereotyping because there is so much info available now.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Default Re: Women's Issues

I was diagnosed with TS two years ago, however my symptoms only started to show three years ago at age 25 (that's an entirely different story...I'll have to write another post!) I have both motor and vocal tics along with sensory tics. I am now married and want to start a family but am worried about going off my medication (Clonidine) to do so. I have just started the slow process of weaning off the meds and haven't seen any bad effects yet but am wondering how difficult it will become once the meds are completely out of my system. Has anyone been in this situation before? How was pregnancy for those with TS? Did your symptoms lessen, worsen, stay the same? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Update:

Well, it's week number two of 'weaning' off my Clonidine and I'm not a happy camper. I feel like a celebrity who's just entered rehab. Seriously. My head aches constantly and believe it or not, I have frequent nausea. My motor tics are worse than ever and I've start screaming at night again. Basically, it feels like it did before I was first diagnosed. It's taking me up to three hours a night to fall asleep which is not only difficult on me, but my husband as well. We want to start a family so much but we're wondering how we'll be able to handle this situation long term. I'm going to ask the question again: has anyone gone off a medication to become pregnant? Any insight would truly help. Thanks. -Kelly

Hi Kelly

I was not diagnosed until after having children so I have not been in your situation. Have you talked to your doctor about starting a family? was it your doctor who suggested you come off the meds to do this?
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

Hi Janet--

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was on the advice of my doctor that I stop my medication. She said that there is not enough evidence to support being on Clonidine while pregnant. From my research as well, there have not been enough studies to suggest that this medication can be used safely during pregnancy. My doctor has been with me throughout this entire process (being diagnosed, treatment and now family planning) and although she is a nice person, she doesn't have much knowledge when it comes to TS. I think I may be her first and only 'case' to tell you the truth from our conversations. I live in a relatively small city so there's not a lot of support out there for people in my similar situation. I basically have done most of my own research! I am planning to call my Neurologist on Monday and have talked to my Pharmacist as well for advice. She stated that I might need to 'wean' off my medication at a slower rate (my current rate is a four week period) to stop the headaches and nausea. As for the tics coming back, nobody seems to be concerned except for myself and my husband! I guess everyone looks at this condition as something that really isn't so bad and in the grande scheme of things it's not, but support and encouragement always helps. Well, I have babbled long enough. Send me your ideas and thoughts--they are truly welcome! --Kelly

Hi, Kelly:
    I haven't been in your exact situation but I have been with my TS+ son as he's weaned off 3 meds over a period of time. Yes, only do what you can handle at a time, even if you take a rest between reducing dosages. We always found that things evened out after awhile and then we waited until he had the time and courage to go down a bit further. I know we all feel for you but are applauding you and your courage at the same time!

As a Mom for 31 years, I can assure you that all children are a combination of joy, frustration, wonderment and confusion, all bundled up in a package that leaves you feeling like you're always slightly out of your league! I'm a hoping-to-be grandma, even while we're raising our youngest, 15 yr. old TS+ son. Like so many others have said, we're now better, more informed parents than we were with our first two and are looking forward to be supportive and informed grandparents. We're so flexible now we're like pretzels!

You'll know in your heart what is right for you and I know you'll go after it with the same courage and tenacity that you have tackled life with so far! All the best to both you and your husband!