Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tic medication?

Default Tic medication?

Hey, I'm 14 years old (girl...Chloe) and my tics just got a little bit worse. I am going to Disney Land in a few months and dont want to draw attention to myself or at least lower the ammount so I was thinking of taking a "tic" medication but I am already overweight a little bit and this med might make me gain more weight! What do you think I should do? be unhappy or gain weight and be unhappy but feel better...its all really confusing...any thoughts? :roll:

Default Tic medication?

Chloe,

Taking any medication should not be considered lightly. Medications are used to treat conditions, but it should also be noted that medications also sometimes cause unwanted side effects, as you correctly allude to.

Weight gain is a side effect of some medications but does not occur with all meds.

The decision to take medications should be made in consultation with your physician and parents on the basis of benefits versus risks.

Your doctor makes benefits vs risks decisions with every medical decision.

Quality of life is the determining factor for deciding on the benefits of adopting a given treatment plan.

If it is felt that your quality of life will improve to warrant the risk or inconvenience of adverse effects of a given treatment, then it can be considered as an option.

In general, medications used to reduce tic activity produce severe side effects, and are used infrequently.

I am not sure if a trip to Disneyland is sufficient reason to consider starting to take medications.

Instead, I would recommend working on ways to explain t those around you that you are a person with Tourette Syndrome which causes involuntary movement or sounds.

Have you talked to your parents and to your doctor about your options?

Default Tic medication?

OH...no I get that....and the doctor has been talked to...I was just wondering if anybody else thought that the medications for tics were worth while...if anybody took them and had good experiences...dont worry I am not basing what they say on whether I take it or not...

Default Tic medication?

Chloe,

I have takin medication for tics for about 16 years (although I have been off them for about 2 years now) and I would say from my personal experience that they worked wonderful for me and did help calm my tics drastically. But medication can vary from person to person and from medication to medication so what worked for me may not be best suited for somebody else. This may not mean ALL medications would not work, but the specific ones that I used may not be.

I do think you will want to talk to your doctor and definately your parents alot before doing so but I understand you want personal opinions on it and I will say they worked great for me. I just dont want to put a biased mindset on this due to everyone and their body being different.

Hopefully that helped!
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Default Tic medication?

thanx...and dont worry i wont think biased :lol:

Default Tic medication?

Chloe,

As a side note to your concern about your visit to Disneyland in the way people may react to a person with Tourette, I can assure you no one will notice.

You see, Chloe, during the winter, we live in Central Florida, very close to DisneyWorld, Epcot, Universal and all the big attractions in the Orlando area.

I can guarantee that there are so many things going on and peoples' vision and attention is drawn in so many directions with all the colors, rides, sounds and sights....no one will take notice of your tics.

You can feel quite comfortable and relaxed during your visit to Disneyland...and have a wonderful time :D :D 8)

Default Tic medication?

Chloe, I went to Disney land when I was about 12. I have TS. I can assure you that everything went perfectly well. As Steve mentionned, there is so much eye candy there that we go unnoticed. I have never taken medications and had the time of my life. Even though, you need to say to yourself that you are the one dealing with TS. Why should you also be deprived of having fun for what other people may think.

Please, consider Medications as last resort only.

Marc

Default Tic medication?

AWWW...thanx guys...thats really nice of you...and dont worry I will post how it went when we get back but I still have about 60 days till we leave so dont expect to get rid of me that soon