Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Remedy for lip-licking rash?

Default Remedy for lip-licking rash?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help with some ideas...my son has been going through a lip-licking cycle recently, and as a result, his lips and surrounding area all around his mouth are chapped. The cold weather doesn't help! Along with the chapping, he is developing some pimple-like bumps around his lower lip -- probably from his teeth cutting his skin and the area becoming infected.

I've been using Blistex medicated lip balm on his lips for the chapping, but it doesn't really seem to be helping the pimply stuff (might actually be irritating it). He takes the Blistex to school with him.

Any remedies out there?

Thanks,

Sandra

Hi Sandra - My son just finished going through the lip licking stage. This one seems to appear quite frequently. Somtimes it is both the top and bottom lips, or just the top. I try to encourage him to use Labello or Blistex but he doesn't like either option. The best cure for him seems to be to not pay any attention to it. If I put a barrier cream on it he gets angry and wipes it off. Tough to see, don't want them teased. How old is your son? Mine will be 6 next month, not officially diagnosed but we're pretty sure it's TS.

Take Care.

Paula

Sandra and Paula,

Are either of your sons taking any medications, such as a neuroleptic medication?

Default Lip Licking

Hi Steve -

My son is taking nothing for TS - not officially diagnosed. He is, however, on Flovent for his asthma.

Paula

Hi Paula,

Thanks for the info. Some medications, such as neuroleptics, sometimes cause a side effect that resembles lip licking, whic is a different issue being a Tourette tic.

Nothing to be concerned about, in that case...just need to treat the chapped lips.

:D Regards,

Default Facial tics

I read with interest (and empathy) the post from Sandra regarding her son's lip licking. Recently my son has been rubbing the corners of his eyes to the point that he has developed scars. I have had him in to see the ped and our MD several x's and have tried decreasing meds, temporarily discontinuing etc... we are now using a cream to see if that helps!! I think our doc is frustrated as well, and has been making an effort to help. My own personal feeling is that my son is experiencing an increase in his anxiety level right now, and that almost always leads to more frequent or new tics.
    I just try to deal with it matter of factly and to reduce the physical effects as they occur. I try to make him aware of it when I see him doing it and offer a suggestion that might allow him to feel less stressed or to simply offer him a distraction.
    I know this is not an answer per say, but I hope the info helps.

Hi everyone:

Thanks for your replies!

Paula -- My son will be 5 at the end of the month...he has seen Dr. Pearce twice at the Tourette's Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital for assessments, as we are trying to determine whether or not this is Tourette's. Upon the one year mark of the start of his symtoms (July of this year), she will see him once more to make her official diagnosis. She has indicated that this is most likely TS. At this time he is not showing any signs of other associated behaviours.

Steve -- he is not on any medication.

MJ -- how old is your son? I agree with your comment about the increase in anxiety exacerbating the tics...I think my son may be going through the same right now. I do the same...just try to take care of the physical effects as they occur. Hopefully, this lip-licking will wane soon in order to give his skin a chance to heal up.

Sandra,

Thanks for the update on your son not taking meds! :D

Hi Sandra,
    My son just turned 10. He received his diagnosis a couple of years ago, although I was pretty sure what we were dealing with prior to that.
    I wish you and your son the best as you travel this path. There are days that seem pretty much like a roller coaster, but I love my son with all my heart! He is a special little soul, and Tourette's doesn't define him, it is just a part of who he is.
    Before we returned to New Brunswick I was able to have Matthew seen at the Clinic in Toronto and was so pleased with the care he received!
    All the best!
    MJ