Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking back....

Default Looking back....

As I continue to read the various posts here on this amazing site I am reminded of many things that my son did/said when he was very young that upset and confused me. (well, ok...I even laughed a few times as well...)
    I hope that sharing a few of them will provide other parents with an explanation for some of the things they might see their child do.
    Just before he was 2 my son began to use that colorful "F" word much to my horror! It began when he overheard it in a movie my older son had brought home, and I had him shut it off. I thought maybe it was just because I made an issue of it, but Matthew continued to say it, slow, fast, rhyming..."ducky duck..." any time, anywhere. He just "had" to say it!! Needless to say I tried everything to get him to stop! Oddly enough, HE said he "had" to say it...and after a couple of months it did stop, only to be replaced by the need to spit, then throw things (rocks being a favorite) and smell everything he came to. You also "had" to smell his feet over and over, and it HAD to be done. My two older children (10 and 12 at the time) kept telling me something was wrong, but as siblings sometimes are they were not very kind about how they saw Matthew. Then again, I wasn't in the back seat on either side of him as they often were...
    To make a long story short, looking back so many things now make sense. When I explained Tourette's to my older two a couple of years ago, they were as relieved as my husband and I were I think, to finally understand the "why's".
    This site is terrific! I learn so much, and I hope from time to time I can share something that will be helpful to someone else.
    MJ

Default Looking back....

MJ,

I'd like to thank you for your kind words about the value of the TSFC Forum. Our dedicated team of volunteer moderators, devoted regular contributors and members who participate in discussions are the real heroes who deserve the credit for the success of our Forum. :D

looking back so many things now make sense. When I explained Tourette's to my older two a couple of years ago, they were as relieved as my husband and I were I think, to finally understand the "why's".
    I can say from my own experience, as one who was diagnosed late in life, that knowing there is a name for what we do and that we are not the only ones in the world doing these things are the greatest source of comfort and relief.

It sounds like your family is very loving ans supportive, which will certainly contribute Mathew's ability to deal with his Tourette throughout his life.

Thank you for sharing, and we do hope you decide to become a regular participant in the TSFC Forum.

Warm regards,

Default Looking back....

My two older children (10 and 12 at the time) kept telling me something was wrong, but as siblings sometimes are they were not very kind about how they saw Matthew.
    LOL! Had the same experience as a kid. my brother and I are significantly older than our little sister and we weren't always nice to her. when she was 4 we repeatedly told our parent for several days that she had dandruff. They thought we were just being nasty. We finally got one of them to look (thinking it would shut us up, no doubt!). Turned out she had LICE! Poor thing!!! :roll:

sibling dynamics are so .... weird... :\

Default Looking back....

MJ

I am glad you have found so many answers here on the TSFC forum. This sight has made a major impact on our family too.

I hope you continue to post and I am sure you will find many experiences on this forum familiar and can provide your own experiences as support and good feed back.

We continue to learn together by sharing.
    PJK