Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Storms

Default Storms

What is the difference between a rage and a storm of anger?

The only storm of the brain that I know of is an electrical storm which happens during a seizure. Is it the same?

Do children experience this anger but to a lesser degree?

How can we distinguish between an inability to cope with the present situation or a symptom of TS? Steph

Default Storms

Rage and anger aren't symptoms of Tourette's at all so there's no need to distinguish.. HOWEVER, children who experience 'rage' and who happen to also have Tourette's, could be having this experience due to a secondary diagnosis (ADHD, OCD, Biplar, Autism, etc..)... so if this is happening, it can be important to tease out what other issue is going on. How one would go about treating ADHD-based rage, compared to OCD-based behavior would be totally different...
    Check out this link.
    http://www.schoolbehavior.com/conditions_rage.htm

Default Storms

Hi,
    I read some of the website and it actually states that there is no evidence to support that TS is linked with rage.

This is not surprising considering that we still do not have a firm diagnostic test for TS.

We don't have many meds specifically for TS.

Overall in mental health, there is very little research being done especially compared with such medical diseases as diabetes or cardiovascular disease.

My question was really directed at someone with TS and experiences a rage or a storm.

I thought they could describe what specifically happens to them and what precedes it. Steph

Default Storms

Steph,

I have spoken to a few people with Tourette who have described what is referred to as a rage reaction which appears to be associated with their Tourette.

A situation which seems to be a trigger is a request to multi task.

Seems innocuous, but I am told people with Tourette have difficulty to compartmentalize a series of requests or commands made in rapid succession.

If one were to ask their child...all at once, to brush your teeth, make the bed, take a bath, clean your room, have your breakfast...the child may respond with a rage reaction, because the sensation described as mental overload, and the thinking process goes blank.

The result is a rage reaction.

Among others I have heard describe this process was Dr. Mort Doran, in a lecture he gave in Montreal several years ago.

Default Storms

Do you think it happens alot? Or just some of the time?

Does it happen in social situations, for example out in public? Or just at home?

Is there a difference between rage and a storm of anger? Or would it be the same? Steph

Default Storms

Steph:

Granted my son has TS+ I can recognize a overload response compared to rage when I see it.

Steve is right about to many tasks at once. In the beginning it could cause what I describe as a melt down and it would be physical, now that he has better coping skills it is a emotional melt down with tears.

I've also seen a delayed reaction or build up and then just pure "rage" like he can't cope anymore and has to release his frustration.

This can happen behind closed doors or in public. Control or managing is strategic and I have to be in tune to recognize when it can happen and not set him up for failure. That only makes it worse.

Sometimes with lack of sleep, brain overload, typical sibling troubles, all these can add up and the burst.

I've seen many changes in reactions during different stages in his life, age for example and coping skills seem to have changed the process of "dealing" and will probably continue.

He knows what is socially acceptable but that does not mean he can "deal" at the time though he really tries.
    PJK

Default TS Rage

The only storm of the brain that I know of is an electrical storm which happens during a seizure. Is it the same?

The storm referred to when talking about TS and rage is not the same as a seizure.

Storm is a term commonly used by Sherry Pruitt in her talks and her book "Teaching The Tiger". A TS rage is in simple terms an exagerated reaction to stimuli or incidents. Frequently if parents ask how to tell if their child has had a rage incident the reply is if you ask this question you haven't experienced one. Most parents who have a child who has "raged" can relate to this.

It's like adding things to a pot of boiling water until it boils over. For the child it can be a number of things, over stimulation, stress both good and bad, frustration etc etc until it all becomes too much and the "pot" over flows.

Although you won't find rage in the DSM IV associated with TS there is enough evidence that these do seem part and parcel of the disorder with some children and adults.

The incidents of rages are probably higher than one would expect, but many times people are ashamed or afraid to talk about them. At the TS Conferences and support meetings is the place where some people feel comfortable talking about the experiences with rage, particularly when there are other people who have gone through or are going through the same thing.

The main thing is to try to provide a safe environment not only for the child with the rage, but the rest of the family. Usually because home is a "safe" environment parents will see more rage there rather than in public. My oldest son used to rage when he got home from school on a regular basis. That was a number of years ago and we were talking about it a while ago and he told me that at the time, he had just enough control to make it through the day and as soon as he got off the bus and in the door he would "just lose it".

'Understaning Tourette Symdrome A Handbook for Families" has a section on rage, you can order it from the TSFC web site.

Default Re: Storms

Four questions:

1. Is there a successful method for preventing this behavior?
    2. Do children exhibit multiple forms of this behavior—anxiety driven, sensory driven, and seemingly “pure” primal anger.
    3. Should the child be able to recognize the thoughts that trigger these behaviors?
    4. What is the life-long prognosis?

Since puberty, my stepson has been rejected from very accommodating schools, for a wide palette of rage-like behavior. He is TS+ every possible symptom, but he remains a surprisingly normal kid. He’s resolved so much, but this Jekyll-and-Hyde behavior is the sticky wicket.