Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: Are you homeschooling your child(ren)? (Have you in the past?)

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • No, not interested

9 30.00%
  • Thinking about it, tell me more

8 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeschooling Pros & Cons

Default Homeschooling Pros & Cons

What are the benefits and disadvantages (if any) to homeschooling?

What should be considered before embarking on this path?

Which children benefit most from homeschooling?

What qualifications does a parent need to homeschooling a child?

How does a child learn peer to peer social skills while being home schooled?

Default Re: Homeschooling Pros & Cons

sometimes I wish I could be home schooled but my mom does not want to

We have used a variety of combinations of homeschooling and both public and private schooling over the past five years. In BC, you can actually combine both and just take the subjects you want at the public school, then take the others by distance education.

We turned our schooling around with our son with TS+ by enrolling him in distance ed. for the academic subjects (so that he could do them at any time he could focus) and putting him in only electives for half a day each day at the public high school. We had done this earlier with two electives and an academic in middle school and it worked very well. The trick is to get a full 1/2 day with blocks together. Because our son is a performer and loves theatre, he took just theatre courses. After a semester, he had gained so much acceptance by the theatre kids, he begged to go full-time so we added two academics and finished the others up by distance ed. This year, he's full-time in school except for PE 10, which he's wisely choosing to do by distance ed.

For us, the hybrid model worked much better than just straight homeschooling, which left me 24 hrs. a day pretty much with a challenging kid :-[ and him feeling like his mother was a convenient target for all frustrations >!

In BC, you can actually combine both and just take the subjects you want at the public school, then take the others by distance education.
    What a great concept. I wonder how many other jurisdictions offer that choice?

Evan

When my son stays home all day he eventually feels lost or out of touch with others. The school work does not seem to be enough to keep him motivated.
    We have split his days before so that he still had time in class and the rest at home.

Is it the work in class that bothers you or the people around you?

My son is taking french and flute in school. Although he did not much care for drama last year he does like plays.

Is there a class you prefer?

The option to split part of your day at home or in class is a wonderful option. I could see that as a great way to find some balance when being at school all day is just overwhelming.

PJK

At the moment I am homeschooling my son - through distance education full time, over here in New Zealand you can also do part time school the rest home etc. Next year we are hoping to start Chris back part time at school maybe just doing the technology classes - he has dyselxia and struggles at school and with his OCD being extreme at the moment he just can not cope at school so for him this is the best option right now. Our goal is to have him back in school full time in the next 2 years, which will work out well as by then I will have finished my degree and hopefully can go back to work.....

Cheers Jaxx (New Zealand)

Quote Originally Posted by valmac
    For us, the hybrid model worked much better than just straight homeschooling, which left me 24 hrs. a day pretty much with a challenging kid :-[ and him feeling like his mother was a convenient target for all frustrations >!
    Thanks for the information. We have just embarked on this ourselves with no notice...so until I can find another placement (if one exists) this may be something to look at. Right now I am finding it a bit difficult however if this turns into a long term thing I will have to plan our weeks better. That may help allevite his need to use me as his "punching bag" as right now we have no routine set up for this since we had one day's notice to begin.

As much as I love my son I am finding it hard to be with a challenging child 24/7 with no breaks at all.

Patti

Quote Originally Posted by mom2TSguy
    As much as I love my son I am finding it hard to be with a challenging child 24/7 with no breaks at all.
    Fully understand that - right now we are going through med changes and my god it is so hard, things are not going well, and I also to have my son 24/7 was suppose to go to his dads every second weekend but his OCD is so extreme he isn't going.
    I know we will make it, but boy do I shed a lot of tears when he is in bed at night.......

Take care Jaxx (New Zealand)

Dear Hippygal and Mom2TSguy:
    Oh boy, do I hear you! There are so many parents out there living lives of quiet desperation, wondering how they'll make it! But we do, miraculously, and you will too. We have been there so many times as parents, especially with our TS son.

Is there anyone who can take off some of the load? We lucked out with another family, not related to us, who have hosted our son for 2 weeks every summer. We have their son (who doesn't have TS but has some anxieties and ADD) visit for 2 weeks as well. For some reason, these two boys hit it off and are like brothers but only see one another in the summer as they live 1500 mi. apart! Keep your eyes and ears open for possibilities... they come up in the oddest places sometimes.

The other thing about TS is that it does wax and wane. I've found that trying to build myself up in the "waning" times helps. Take time for yourself, even if it's just a few minutes here and there. Even deep breathing helps. We gave up looking for the "big break" and now are learning to look for "mini vacations": very small breaks, sometimes less than 5 min. doing something that just remind us that this isn't forever. It really isn't forever, although it seems like it. TS and your child do change over time--that's the challenge and the hope.

The tears help too! As parents we get to the point where we never have a chance to express our own feelings but we need to, and they're very real and potent so it's best not to let them build up a head of steam.

I've also been the "punching bag" and found that it needed to be addressed through the doctor (after the fact) as the middle of a rage attack was not a good time! In the midst of the storm, all I could do was protect myself by putting locked doors between us and phone for help. My husband, adult daughter and even the police have all been called. Even TS is not an excuse for allowing abuse and our son had to learn that the hard way. He was admitted to the psych ward twice for attacks on me and, although it was tough love, he did learn that he could not hit me without huge consequences. He now is able to restrain himself, although he is sometimes verbally abusive. I have had to take counselling to help me get a better perspective on what's really happening with him. Now that I don't react, the verbal abuse has lessened.

Take care! It's so difficult to remember how lovable both you and your child are through all this--and you certainly are! Now that he's 15, my son's come to a much better understanding and acceptance of all that TS+ entails, plus we have been fortunate to have the tics pretty much disappear, something that is fairly common in TS (according to the research presented at the conference). There's lots of reason to hope!

Quote Originally Posted by valmac
    I've also been the "punching bag" and found that it needed to be addressed through the doctor (after the fact) as the middle of a rage attack was not a good time! In the midst of the storm, all I could do was protect myself by putting locked doors between us and phone for help. My husband, adult daughter and even the police have all been called.
    I am so sorry you had to go through that. We too have had rage issues but they are well behind us. There were many times I had to call my husband to come home.

My son as well has been hospitalized in the past but for depression. That was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. The time during his hospitalization was one of the worst things we ever had to go through.

I went a little over the top with my punching bag statement as things are not all that bad right now. I sometimes get overwhelmed with all of this and as each new hurdle presents itself I go through a period of desperation. We have no family here and my husband travels for work so there are times when I feel totally alone in all of this. Now is one of those times.

I was just thinking last night how selfish I have been to feel so upset about all of this becaue as hard as it is for me it must be 100 times harder for my son.

Sometimes I need to remind myself of that.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Patti