Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coping Mechanisms

Default Coping Mechanisms

Whether we have Tourette Syndrome or just plain life, we have to handle stress.

We already know that stress has a big impact on cardiovascular disease and our ability to live a happy life.

Tell us your best coping mechanism that has worked for you and why.

Here are some coping skills that I came up with including mediation, yoga, deep breathing, and plain counting to 10.

I use the mediation while I am on a break because what I do is very stressful. This coping skill works for me because it helps me focus in on the problem and helps me come up with solutions. Steph

Many years ago I learned bio feedback which I found helpful at the time. Unfortunately I became distracted and forgot to use it, and now cannot fully recall the techniques I used to "turn it on"

I hope from this discsussion, someone with experience in this technique as well as others will remind us how to use them.

Looking forward to learning from this discussion. :D

Here is some information on Biofeedback from the internet. One credible source is http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/biofeedback/SA00083.

Biofeedback uses your mind to control your body. Biofeedback is a type of complementary and alternative medicine called mind-body therapy.

However one part on this website states "It can reduce or eliminate your need for medication". I would be very cautious regarding any reduction or elimination of medication without clearance from a doctor.

Another site http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002241.htm states:

Your heart rate, blood pressure, or some other function is measured using electrodes. The results are displayed on a monitor that both you and the trained practitioner can see. While the practitioner describes stressful situations and guides you through relaxation techniques, you can see how your heart rate and blood pressure change in response to being stressed or relaxed.

This teaches you how to control and change these bodily functions. By doing so, you feel more relaxed and may be able to help treat your own high blood pressure, tension and migraine headaches, and chronic pain. Steph

Thanks for the bio feedback links, Steph. I remember liking to use it, so it will be good to refresh my memory.

Is anyone else having trouble with the links? The second link worked for me fine and was helpful, but the first link wouldn't open for me. I'm not sure if it was the link or just my computer. :?
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

Steph

When you have a fire wall or you have software loaded to protect your system the links do not always open properly.

You should check your perimeters of the software you are using and usually if you request moderate or medium protection (most claim it is sufficient) then the links will open.

I am sure Steve can offer some good advice about this topic. I've had problems in the past myself.
    PJK

Here are some more coping mechanisms that I found:

There are lots of good relaxation tapes and books on the market. Your local library may even have some selections. Ask your librarian for help.

Try to spend a few minutes alone everyday.

Take some time for things you enjoy like music, scented candles, bubble baths, gardening, flower arranging or aromatherapy. Take time for hobbies like puzzles, stamp collecting or knitting. Try starting a rock or feather collection.

Other ideas to help you relax are: yoga, art work, massage, reading and prayer.

Try These Breathing Tips: Put your hands on your stomach with your fingers touching. Breathe in and fill your stomach like a big balloon. This will pull your fingers apart. Breathe out and pull your muscles in to fully empty your lungs. This will bring your fingers together again. Repeat three times slowly.

Take a deep breath in through your nose. Breathe out through your mouth. Close your eyes and feel your body relax with each breath. Repeat tree times slowly.

Keep breathing slowly and deeply and when you are ready, move into stretching.

Stretching: Lift your shoulders up to your ears. Roll them in a circle forward and back 5 times each.

Lift your arms up towards the ceiling and stretch as high as you can. Hold for five seconds. Do this exercise three times.

Also, don't forget humor. The best part of our day is often seeing ourselves and our loved ones laughing. Steph

Steph

The first link will only work if you copy and paste it into the address bar and then it will take you to the right page.

It is the right address but I don't know why it comes up unfound when it is clinked on. Steph

I found this desktop mediation and I hope you can just click on it.

It is very relaxing and it takes about 5 minutes to run through it. Steph

Steph

For some reason the site will still not work for me even if I copy and paste it, it's not found on the website. But that's alright all the other information given here is very helpful and that desktop meditation looks promising as well! Thanks!

Steph
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~