Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Movement Except Tics

Default No Movement Except Tics

Does anyone stop all movement except for the ticcs?

Stop walking, talking, or anything you are doing except for ticcs? Steph

stop all movement except for the tics?
    Interesting question and will look forward to hearing how others respond.

I find that tics are incorporated in whatever is the activity at hand..like multi tasking :P

This is so true:

I find that tics are incorporated in whatever is the activity at hand..like multi tasking
    I am the queen of multi-tasking and many people around me don't understand it. My tics are mild and most people rarely notice them... but the ADHD is obvious everyday. I can juggle many things and stay connected with them all... I call it a gift most of the time.

A funny story about trying to stop movements except for tics was last night for my oldest son. I was cutting his hair (he keeps it pretty short) and he has a major head tic and I am focused on cutting and trimming around his ears and he is sat perfectly still... for a minute I forgot we both had TS :P and then his head did a major twist. He frightened me because I could have trimmed his ear not his hair. I said "my stars ! I wasn't expecting that" he said. " I told you I could feel it coming"... boy was I focused because I didn't hear the warning.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

I have seen him stop all activity and just ticc.

He could be speaking or walking or other activities and everything else will just stop.

I know it sounds like a seizure but it would have been picked up by the EEG, and that turned out normal.

Janet that episode with cutting his hair would have freaked me out. Steph

Hey Steph

He could be speaking or walking or other activities and everything else will just stop.
    I can probably relate more to this with my second oldest. He describes an internal tic he has as his "twister" and that would be that he feels like he is vibrating from the top of his head to his feet on the inside but he knows he is not vibrating on the outside. When this comes over him he does stop everything and you can watch him contort his body trying to probably stop it, but to your point, he stops everything until it passes. I emphasize with him ... I often wonder if it is like when you have cold shivers run up your back. You know how you will stop, let it pass and then go back to what you were doing.

this is a great topic for discussion, I look forward to what others have to share.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Good question Steph.
    First off- Janet, I have that vibrating feeling too like your son!! but mines only on the top of my head and neck if i try to keep it from jerking from the side in a wierd way its like your trying to shake it off.
    I stop what im doing alot tic...IF I get excited its like a outburst I seriously cant control it @ all I just do it. It happens really fast and I dont have that tension before i release it like usual b/c i just automatically do it like a serious of them until it feels ok. And then I can continue doing w/e im doing. Its always the second i feel excited I do it. Then I can continue to feel excited but the tics are like normal but not like an uncontrolable outburst. When im excited thres like cetain tics that r liek reserved that lol. I stop what im doing if something sets my tics off like if I look at the sun or bright light its like automatic tic. People @ school knows that ppl mimicing me triggers me and so they mimic me in my face to make me tic on purpose. Oh yeah and if I hold it in it builds up and i'll eventually hav a outburst but @ least I know its comming.....Other than that I multitask too. lol

`Alley

Hi Alley,

they mimic me in my face to make me tic on purpose
    I am sorry that they treat you this way. We know that you are a nice person and that is what counts.

Just try and ignore the people who are like that. In a few years, you will be finished high school.

Hang in there, and remember we are always here to talk to. Steph

Steph:

TS is reasonably new to your son and if I understand it correctly you have not really explained much about it yet to him.

When my son started his major motor tics and louder vocal tics he responded the same way.
    He told me that if felt weird and it scarred him some so he tried to stay very still to make it stop.

Once we had a couple simple talks about TS he stopped turning into a board with he tic's.

Now we just carry on and we ignore other people that turn into a board watching him tic.
    PJK

PJK,

Once we had a couple simple talks about TS he stopped turning into a board with he tic's.
    My son, the other day, looked at me and said:

Mom, I am different right and you are a nurse I know that you know!

I said yes, you are special.

You have a syndrome which means that you make little movements that other people don't make.

Then he said I have all these thoughts and how come I have to work harder than the other kids. I told him about ADHD and he smiled.

It was absolutely the right thing to do, and I am sorry that I didn't tell him earlier. It was like he was relieved and he had been happier about his movements since.

Thank you for the push to do the right thing. Steph

Steph

I am glad you were able to speak to him. It will make so much difference for him in his future. :D

Mark my word it will not be the last talk either, which is good.

I have an open line of communication with my son over his TS and he now works with me to make it better when tics are severe instead of fighting it or just suffering.

It is a peace of mind, children all need understanding that they are important and it is ok.
    PJK