Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is Depression Part of TS+

Default Is Depression Part of TS+

Is depression part of Tourette Syndrome?

I mean if a child has TS, are they more likely to have depression than the general population?

Is there a link between migraines and depression? Steph

I have no idea about medical connections with TS and depression, but I know from experience that depression is easier with TS. Maybe because it can sometimes be the focal point, or it is just that one extra thing that adds onto everything else that you can't control and it just pushes you over the edge. It's hard to feel like you are out of control of yourself, and that can sometimes be too much to handle.

So I would say that having TS seems to make it easier to be depressed, but again I have no medical evidence or connections, just what I know from experience.
    Steph
    ~be a miracle~

Here's what Dr. Leslie Packer, authority on Tourette Syndrome and author of Tourette Plus says:

Tourette's Syndrome is a fairly common childhood-onset condition that may be associated with features of many other conditions. On this site, you can learn about Tourette's Syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, non-OCD anxiety disorders, Executive Dysfunction, depression, Bipolar Disorder, autism spectrum disorders including Asperger's Disorder, 'rage attacks,' sensory integration issues, and sleep disorders. For every condition section of the site, you'll also find articles and files relating to school-related issues in the Education section of the site. And don't miss the general Behavior section, where you'll find topics of concerns to parents and teachers of children with these childhood-onset conditions or disorders.

Here is an excerpt from NINDS

What disorders are associated with TS?

Many with TS experience additional neurobehavioral problems including inattention; hyperactivity and impulsivity (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?ADHD) and related problems with reading, writing, and arithmetic; and obsessive-compulsive symptoms such as intrusive thoughts/worries and repetitive behaviors. For example, worries about dirt and germs may be associated with repetitive hand-washing, and concerns about bad things happening may be associated with ritualistic behaviors such as counting, repeating, or ordering and arranging. People with TS have also reported problems with depression or anxiety disorders, as well as other difficulties with living, that may or may not be directly related to TS. Given the range of potential complications, people with TS are best served by receiving medical care that provides a comprehensive treatment plan

A Google search for "depression migraine" yields some interesting results, some suggesting a possible link.

Throbbing migraine headaches and major depression may be related. A recent study suggests that having one may increase the occurrence of the other. The research supports the idea that depression and migraines share related biological factors.

Migraine sufferers were five times more likely than headache-free individuals to develop major depression over a two-year study conducted by the Henry Ford Health System. Those who started the study with depression were three times more likely to develop migraines.

Study author Naomi Breslau and colleagues also found that a person with major depression was more at risk of having their first ever migraine than non-depressed individuals. And people who live with migraines seem to be more at risk for an initial bout of depression.

Breslau interviewed 496 adults who had a history of migraines, 151 people with severe headaches and 539 people without headache problems. The study followed them for two years.

At the beginning of the study, 42 percent of the participants with a history of migraines had suffered from major depression at some point in their life. Only 36 percent of those with severe headaches had been depressed. Depression was the lowest in the group that reported no headaches--16 percent.

The authors conclude that their findings support the idea that both disorders have a biological link, possibly hormonal or with brain chemicals. They suggest that any treatment for one should look for the presence of the other.

Source: Publication: Psychology Today
    Publication Date: May 20, 2003

Steve,

I forgot about the TS+ site, so thanks for reminding me.

Throbbing migraine headaches and major depression may be related
    I figured that there probably was a link.

With depression being the number 1 disease with regards to mental health, I am always trying to be as current as possible in the research.

The sooner depression is recognized in a person then better patient outcomes are achieved. Steph

Default Re: Is Depression Part of TS+

I never understood why most people seem to assume a neurological connection between TS and depression, as if the depression is an illogical or irrational symptom of some direct genetic flaw or chemical imbalance in the brain. I've suffered from occasional periods of depression all my life, but as a thinker who's very self-analytical and fairly well educated, I realize it is the simple result of life experiences. It is completely natural for someone who's constantly treated differently, whether with pity, mockery, degradation, or alienation, to go through these periods of depression. Traumatizing events in a person's life, whether as a result of living with TS or not, add up and ultimately cause varying degrees of depression.

It is common knowledge that humans are social beings. Therefore, how we are treated is an important component of mental well-being. For parents with children who have TS, just because you don't witness any negative behavior from people, it doesn't mean it isn't there. Even if it isn't something done with malicious intent, such as stares or strange looks or even people asking you if you're alright constantly--these things have a negative impact on a person. To put it in further perspective, recall when you were a teenager in high school when such notions as popularity and reputation were paramount. At that age, your entire world is essentially at your school among your friends and classmates. Imagine what kind of impact a simple stare or a cruel but fleeting joke in response to a tic might have. Now imagine the person cracking a joke at your expense or staring at you as if you were an attraction at the local zoo being a person of the opposite sex--one you were attracted to yourself. Those sorts of experiences destroy a person's self-esteem and are never forgotten. I suspect it is easy for someone who's never really had these experiences on any regular basis to not fully appreciate the profoundness of them, but thinking about it as if you were in their shoes is a good first step toward understanding.

In summary, depression is more commonly the result of experiences from people living with Tourette's Syndrome. This doesn't mean there aren't some exceptions, and perhaps there could be both contributing factors in many cases, but it seems obvious from my perspective that the most common and understandably contributing variable or cause for depression are the experiences they endure. Remember, it isn't just one experience we're talking about here, but an accumulation of experiences.
    Last edited by TSGuy; August 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM.