Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Building Friendships

Default Building Friendships

What are some of your tips for building friendships?

With Tourette Syndrome know to make it difficult to learn and recognize social cues, how have you helped your child to have good friends?

What are some things that you would have done differently? Steph

Hi Steph

I can't say I have influenced who my boys have picked as friends but I have influenced who they should not continue to be friends with. I try to teach my kids to spend time with the Friends that make them feel good not ones that argue or are bossy with them. A best practice of mine is that once my son starts to spend time with a kid and then I encourage that playtime happens here in our environment. I openly talk about TS and we ensure there is no bullying or razzing going on between them... I know I may be a little high on control with this area but I have discovered some ill-mannered kids through my years with my boys and I have zero tolerance for people being mean to others.

I have encouraged friendships between my boys and other kids we have met with TS here in the city some have materialized and others have not.

I think this is a great topic and would love to hear what other parents have done.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College

Steph:

I have done much the same as Janet though my son prefers less then more.

He may have a friend at school but they may not associate outside of school. He does have friends that do not attend his school.

We are still trying to find the balance in a new area.

I do however read children very well and if they are not sincere about having a relationship with my son or appear to have bad habits that could influence or get my son in trouble we talk about it.

He is very aware of right vs. wrong though his social skills are not strong.

He spends time with one person at a time, not three or more. This helps build better communication skills and coping skills once he is in a larger group. The friend becomes a anchor in a crowd and just by being there makes the stresses fewer.

Age makes a difference, so it would be interesting to see how other parents offer some direction.
    PJK

Age makes a difference
    Children with TS tend to be less mature than their peers ( they tend to catch up in their earlu twenties) so you may find that your child with TS may tend to become friends with other kids who are younger. For example my oldest still enjoys things like bionicles, etc that other 14 year olds would not be found playing with... then again his closest frinds either are a year or two young then he is so they still have common inerests. My son tends to also spend his time with one kid at a time.
    Janet, mom of 4

TSFC Homepage

"Intelligence is always increasing; accommodation allows your intelligence to do what it has always done." Cassie Green, Washington College