Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Could someone help me find a post???

grammy

Default Could someone help me find a post???

I am trying to find a post on this forum that I read. A father posted about using omega3's with their child and found it to be a benefit. If someone could direct me to that post, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find it. Thank you.

Grammy

Hi Grammy,

Posting on Omega 3

Is this the posting you were refering to? If not please let us know.

Are you planning to try it on your child?

Let us know if it is beneficial or not. Steph

grammy

Default Thanks Steph

Hi Steph,

Yes, this is the post I was looking for. Thank you.

I did ask my son's ped. if I could supplement with omega 3's and he said yes, that it wouldn't hurt. He is taking fish oil, but it has only been 5 days, so I will give it some time. I am taking it also, since I have achy old joints in my shoulders and knee at 45 already. I also give him magnesium at night to see if that helps (with doc's okay).
    Thanks for your help.

Grammy

Hi Grammy,

I am happy to help!

Why did you decide to start him on these supplements?

Is he on a vitamin pill also?

Did you play lots of sports to have "achy old joints"?

I have achy knees and its because I played soccer for many years.

Keep us posted. Steph

grammy

Default Supplements

Hi Steph,

I have been researching nutritional supplements for TS for awhile now. There seems to be a lot of mention of Omega3's, magnesium, B6 and zinc for TS and other related illnesses. I know that my son does not get nearly enough of the types of foods that supply Omega3's and probably the other nutrients as well. It's the typical American diet. I asked his doctor if I could try some of them with his current meds and health issues. He has asthma and is allergic to mold, dust, dogs, cats and feathers. No pets in this house, but plenty of dust! Oh, his allergist did cut out his one medication to see if that could possibly be causing or worsening the tics. It is an antihistimine type of med. He has only been off that for a short time (about 2 weeks), but it hasn't seemed to have made any difference in the tics.
    I didn't play much sports, except a little volleyball. Most of the time I had jobs that involved a lot of lifting for many years. Also, everyone in my immediate family has bad knees. We are all tall (I'm 5'8.5") and I think tall people tend to have more joint problems.
    I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

Grammy

Grammy:

Welcome and I am glad you are finding your way around the forum.

When finding supplements you should always consult a pharmacist or your Doctor about he dose.

Some of what you mention can cause stomach upset and should be geared to age groups.

We have tried a supplement shake mix you add to milk or juice. We make milkshakes with it in the blender. My boy will not take a chewable vitamin and this is the only way to get the "extra" he needs.

You mentioned fish oil in a earlier post. My understanding is that it takes a very long time to see any results and they may include improvement or irritation to the bowel.

Most supplements you are referring to can be found at a small pharmacy with someone that will help you and they understands the products.

Keep us posted on your findings and it is nice to see you again.
    PJK

grammy

Default moderate dosing

Hi PJK,

I'm glad that you are moderating all the posts. I know there is dangerous advice out there.
    I certainly don't believe in mega doses of any supplement.
    Son takes RDA or less of magnesium for his age. (205mg.)
    Also, 216mg omega-3 EPA and 144mg omega-3 DHA. Other than that he takes a chewable kids vitamin. I did try a B6 last night just to see if it would make a difference.
    Please add any helpful comments. Keep up the good work.

Grammy

Grammy:

Thank you for your kind words. I enjoy volunteering on the forum.

Does your son like eating Chicken, banana's, tomato sauce?
    These are all good sources of B6, but tomato paste has a higher level then just store bought sauces.

Some peas, most beans & potatoes are also good sources of B6.

Have you found a book that references vitamins & minerals, absorption rates and toxicity?
    It is always good to have a solid reference guide and ask plenty of questions to health care providers.

You may also be interested in seeing if there is a nutrientist in your area, possibly at a University close by that could help you.
    The fees tend to be reasonable to the public and with a referral from your Doctor it should not be to hard to get in.
    They can guide you through your process to assure your son gets everything he needs without canceling out what he has.

We've done this for our daughter and it helped. We learned about foods and supplements and when to take them and when not to mix them, most importantly how much is to much.

Keep us posted on your progress. If I find a good website for you I will post it under this same topic for you to review. Most of what I have found is by lay people and the information is a bit scattered and incomplete. It also comes from to may sources.

Take care
    PJK