Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fears

Default Fears

I never talk about this because it seems to me so embarrasing.

My son is afraid of flies! My son and I spend alot of time outside and we really enjoy it, so how can this happen to someone who loves the outdoors?

Now that the weather is warming up we are starting to see the flies and my son runs if he sees one.

I bought him a fly swatter but what are we going to do the summer? What about camping?

It is probably a bit of OCD in him and because flies are so common it is going to be a rough summer.

Any ideas on how to decrease his fears. Steph

Default Fears

I think psychologists have light duty strategies to de sensitize us from irrational or exagerated fear. Fear of flying is handled this way for example using a step by step method of becoming accustomed to the object of our fears.

Default Fears

Does anyone else have similar fears? Steph

Default Fears

Steph:

My son is afraid of spiders, even tiny ones. Though I understand why I have been unable to get him comfortable with them. I have even shown him how we are more in control then they are...

Steve is right, if you can get a little help it will probably help the situation very much.
    PJK

Default Fears

Hey Steph-
    I'm not afraid of flys but they really irritate me.....so my mom got me this electric fly swatter lol...
    http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index....ROD&ProdID=108
    (sry dont kno how to make a link). But from then on it was like my hobby but my mom thought i became obsessed w/ killing them so she took it away :D He might like that!
    I'm deathly afraid of bee's though!!
    ~Alley

Default Fears

Thanks Alley,

I am going to get one for my son.

He is also deathly afraid of bees.

I don't know how we are going to make it through this summer and I guess camping is out.

I hate TS+!!! Between the ADHD, OCD, and the fears my son has, I am sick of it!!

I am sorry, I don't mean to upset anyone.

I am tired of explaining to myself that its ok when it isn't. He behaves inappropriately at times but he just can't help it. Steph

Default Fears

Steph:

Camping does not have to be a complete out. With everything in life you must learn to be creative and get around the problem.

We pitch a tent near the door. We rent a cabin, we use yellow lights to not attract the bugs my son is so afraid of.

One of my girls is so frightened on insects that she screams, cries, stomps and even makes herself sick. She does not have any disorders and yet that does not stop her from going off with friends to camp.

It can get better with time. Be patient, it is all still new and different and your son is young. You do not ever have to apologize for your stresses and feelings on this forum.
    You are among friends that can relate and understand.

Take care.
    PJK

Default Fears

Flies are definitely annoying.

I'm not afraid of flies in any direct manner, but I'm (to a certain extent) mysophobic.

Flies aren't exactly known for their cleanliness. They're also not known as things that don't spread diseases.
    Colin

Default Fears

I'm not afraid of most insects and have no trouble with walking right up to a scorpion, or letting a tarantula walk on my arm, but cockroaches scare me. They don't just gross me out, they SCARE me... I feel as if they're actually intelligent and looking at me and glaring at me.. I kind of feel this way about wasps too, but at least they're poisionous so it's justifiable.

It's funny, in a way, because logically I KNOW theyr'e not actually thinking hateful thoughts about me, but sometimes knowing something logically doesn't really change anything. LOL

Did he somehow hear that flies are dirty? Or that they carry diseases? maybe that's the basis of his fear?

Default Fears

Hi Steph,

My son was terrified of dogs. He, until recently, would run right out into the street to get away. He really scared me with that. We had trouble going for walks, riding bikes, or just going to people's homes that had dogs. He still is afraid of dogs (mostly large ones now) and he keeps his distance. What is so weird is that he spent the first 5 years of his life with a good sized family dog and he wasn't afraid of him!?!? I've never understood that because our dog was not nasty or mean, but very protective of all of us. We since found out that he is allergic to dogs, cats and feathers. No pets for us!!! I'm not about to have a snake or anything like that for a pet. No offense to snake owners. I think most, kids grow out of these types of fears, at least part of the way and learn to deal with it.

Grammy

Grammy