Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SleepWalking any1?

Default SleepWalking any1?

I'm not sure where else to put this. But I've been sleepwalking alot lately. It's pretty creepy because I don't remember anything and apparantly I talked to my mom and stuff. Can you talk while you sleep walk? I've read like in one place it can be associated with TS, can it? Does anyelse sleepwalk or know anyone else who does? Is it normal? Anyway you can prevent it from happening? All my friends around here have never sleepwalked.
    ~Alley

Alley,

Im gonna first say I really know nothing "medically" about sleepwalking. I do know that with tourettes, sometimes people can experience sleep disorders (i.e. sleepwalking, sleep talking, insomnia, etc.)

I too sleep walk but not alot. I would guess maybe once every 2 months, but most people do NOT remember it when they wake up and so maybe I do it more than I think! lol. I do remember some experiences when I was sleepwalking. (there are studies that say you cant but those arnt true. You can and there are studies that say you can. I have looked this up, but it was a while ago! lol)

Anyways, obviously, with sleep walking, comes a fear of doing something your not aware of or having no control. When I have remembered the times I have slept walked, it was like acting out a sub concious thought I wasnt aware of but it MUST be done. (thats the best I can do to describe it) Unfortunately, this fear is something that should be looked at. I do know there are places to go to have it checked out (more than just a doctor, a "sleep study" medical facility. My dad went for his snorring). But there should also be some meds for it, but I dont know for sure.

Sleep talking also comes with it. Sleep walking is not like the "classic" movies with the arm extended and the "zombie" walk and eyes closed. My eyes are open, I am alert and I can talk to others. But I only will do this if they "intervien" (spelling?) If you are sleep walking, you will step over stuff in its way, not trip over it due to sleep walking (unless you are just naturally clumsy! like me! lol) I think there are many myths about sleepwalking that are untrue but there is also a concern for it that isnt stated as much as it should.

Again, I may be better suited on giving you advice from a "fellow sleepwalker" than giving you medical advice, but yes this is something to "investigate" but its not uncommon actually and I have yet to do anything "bad" while doing it! (or so I think)

-adam
    The other day at a local grocery store, I saw a rack with books on it and one of them said, "pregancy for dummies"............

Here is a resource on Parasomnias Often Under-Recognized, Misunderstood

Research points way to new treatments for sleepwalking, sleep sex, and other parasomnias. Click Here for a Printer Friendly File from WEbMD

Also an overview of sleepwalking available from Medicine Net.

Sleep walking (somnambulism) most often occurs during deep non-REM sleep (stage 3 or stage 4 sleep) early in the night. It can occur during REM sleep near morning

Default Re: SleepWalking any1?

I have a 12yr. old that yells and talks a lot in his sleep. when we go camping it disrupts everyone elses sleep. I think it causes him not to get a good night sleep as well. He has done some mild sleep walking.

You are probably right about the quality of his sleep.

Have you discussed this with his physician?

My son has had issues with sleep for years and occasionally wakes himself up because he is so loud. It does not happen very often though since we just got him to be able to sleep through the night.

I'd be interested in seeing if others have the same experiences.

PJK

both my children, my 11 1/2 year old ( bipolar/ocd) and my 5 1/2 ( tourettes/bipolar) both talk ( both say weird things that dont make sense) and walk in their sleep. when they walk in their sleep they will come downstairs, in the hall or in my room and their eyes are glazed over, movements clumsy and unnatural.. they look like they are looking AT me but you can tell they have NO clue they are even " awake" in any sense.. i dont try and talk to them at all but take them by the hand and usher them gently back to their beds and sit with them till their eyes are closed again and they are snoring.. russell will actually sleep with his eyes OPEN alot.. i do to too my husband has told me so i know where he gets it from... its kind of weird to watch. Russell has difficulty waking up. you could litterally light a BOMB under his bed and he wouldnt move. he doesnt even move if hes wet the bed.. or if i am yelling at him to get up.. or the radio is blasting.... doesnt flinch at all if the dog or cat is dropped on him.. ( tried this to get him up for school hehe) NOTHING works... hes like the dead. I chalk it up to the meds mostly..

Su

Hi,
    a couple of years ago i had a severe bout of sleepwalking/talking. i was off one med i had been on for years, was under extreme stress, and was playing the med game. what works, what it is for, that kind of thing. i spent about a year (no thanks to my friends who did not tell me how bizarre i was until i was back to normally nutz) phoning people when i was asleep. i had long conversations and could phone numbers i would normally have had to look up. the phone was on my side of the bed and in the past i kept close contact with a couple of nieces so hearing me on the phone at night didn't seem weird to my spouse. how i found out i did this was flukey. i had a very vivid dream about talking to one niece. it was so vivid i thought and thought until i just had to call her during the time i was really awake and ask her if i had called her. told her about the dream and yup, i had called her and we spoke for about an hour while i was sleeping. i asked how i sounded and she said like i had a bad headache and took meds for it. Oh. i moved my bed around and had the phone on my spouse's side so if i was going to make a call i would have to crawl over him and he would be the barrier. it worked, as far as i know. he doesn't tell me i crawled over him to the phone at night and my friends tell me i no longer call them numerouse times a day or night and i don't sound drugged.
    why didn't anyone tell me i was behaving differently? my spouse and kids didn't notice and my friends didn't know how to approach it. they have all been given instructions to intervene in the future if this occurs.
    good luck,
    karen

Hi Karen,

my spouse and kids didn't notice and my friends didn't know how to approach it
    What an interesting story, and it shows the reluctance of people to be open about behavioural issues. If you would have had a cut on your face or a droopy eyelid, most likely people would have been quick to ask what was going on.

I suppose it all relates to peoples' discomfort in openly discussing issues that are related to one's mental state whether it's Tourette tics, sleep walking or schizophrenia.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hi Karen,

why didn't anyone tell me i was behaving differently?
    In my experience, this is quite common. People who care about someone will act like this for a variety of reasons. But the most important thing is they care about you and will help you in the future.

I have seen people under extreme stress act in very unusual ways including sleep eating.

Let us know how we can help.

Steph

HI,
    I am not doing anything like that now and have not for several years. Fortunately, whatever chemical concoction was playing havoc with my brain has been fixed/removed/incorporated.
    It was a difficult year because some times I knew I was some how not connecting in my usual manner and at other times I don't even remember a thing.
    Been there, done that, and am grateful to have come out the other side in tact.
    Thanks for the concern and good wishes.
    karen