Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Psychology of Coprolalia

Default Psychology of Coprolalia

Has the psychology of coprolalia ever been studied?

We know that not everyone uses the same socially inappropriate words therefore, what role does culture play in coprolalia?

If you have coprolalia tell us how your culture has affected the words you say.

Default Psychology of Coprolalia

I can't recall any specific studies, but there are a handful out there.

I think it's very evident that culture and language are major parts of coprolalia. While it seems to be a neurological cause (coprolalia isn't really a psychology-driven phenomenon) the choice of words are obviously linked to culture and understanding of language.

Of those suffering from coprolalia, someone speaking English is likely to swear in English, while someone who's natively French is more likely to swear in French. Someone who is particularly religious is more likely to utter blasphemy. The words uttered by someone exhibiting corpolalia seems to be driven by what they know/feel is inappropriate.

Having experienced coprolalia, I can tell you it definitely feels that way. My obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) has me hating any talk of smell, and very disturbed by talk that's discriptively filthy or violent. My coprolalia had me swearing, yes, but I also felt the same sense of "this is a wrong thing to say" when saying things that crossed any of those lines. (Yet I was compelled to do so. I haven't experienced it lately, and I'm sorry I can't repeat any of the non-swearing-but-still-coprolalia tics with any level of comfort.)

I equate this with the coprolalia since these things are (in my mind) beyond acceptable.
    Colin

Default Re: Psychology of Coprolalia

I think my stepson is framing croplalia, within intentional behaviors, to avoid the appraence of disability. His goal seems to be the repeated utterance of a taboo word, like "Hitler", to the people that would be most offended. He initiates random conversations, without any apparent reasoning, accept the continued disscussion of Hitler.

"What if I dressed up as Hitler for halloween?"
    "What if Hitler was gay?" (a double whammy, "gay" and "Hitler" on one offensive stage)

He is 14 and has done this for five years.

His other conversations are less benign, such as threatening teachers, and all of the topics show up in a similar written compulsion. we need help because no schools will take him, and he won't admitt (but won't deny) experiencing an impulse to say these things.

My coprolalia tends to take the form of sentences. My tics were always 95% verbal, with very few motor tics. But one sentence will evolve into another sentence. For example, I had the tic 'I will murder you'- which evolved into 'I will murder all the fat ones'- the language evolves as new words are constantly added to the tic.

So, there are the 'base themes': obscenities, death threats, and insults.
    Examples of direct insults are: 'dumb redhead', 'grandma', grandmpa' and 'hey, bald guy!'

For me, coprolalia encompasses more than the verbalizations. It affects my thoughts and personality.

I can see how it might affect your thoughts as well, since intrusive thoughts are often called "tics of the mind."

My son is 13 and shows some copralalia. I try to keep the number of rules at home to a minimum, but here are two related to copralalia:

1 - Please don't use vulgar words to express sincere anger at me.

If he's mildly annoyed and says, for example, "You know how much I hate you, right, Mama?" that's not so bad. I know what he means. (It means "I'm pretty annoyed with you right now, but I still love you.")

2. When he says things that are racially offensive to one race or another (he himself is African American; most often the racially offensive copralalia has to do with Asians), I ask him to experiment with some substitutes so he'll be prepared to use a substitute when he's in public.

Which leads me to my question for you, Kace: have you experimented with substitutes at all?

Thanks for the input.

My fascination with Ericksonian Hypnosis gave me a tool to shut off that switch in my brain that causes me to say profanities.

Using Ericksonian commands, I could terminate the coprolalia within 2 to 3 minutes, an effect that lasted, on average, 36 hours.

For more information, I have a channel, and website, on Ericksonian Hypnosis, and how it affects my Tourette's.
    Last edited by Kace Colder; November 27, 2016 at 06:10 PM.